Ever amazed by your own stupidity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
In my new house I have an under stairs cupboard with a sliding door. Big enough for two bikes and maintenance tools etc.

A big box was next to the sliding door which was fine. Then I put my empty laptop box next to the big box and slid the door...

Now the laptop box has jumped into the the door space and quite effectively locked the sliding door!!!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Never mind the door - are there any bikes trapped in that cupboard ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In my new house I have an under stairs cupboard with a sliding door. Big enough for two bikes and maintenance tools etc.

A big box was next to the sliding door which was fine. Then I put my empty laptop box next to the big box and slid the door...

Now the laptop box has jumped into the the door space and quite effectively locked the sliding door!!!

That reminds me of a stupid thing I did some years ago.

I have an up&over garage door. It wouldn't open. I'd left the rear door of my car open. It had acted like a ratchet allowing the garage door to shut, but not open.

Fortunately the garage has a corrugated iron roof, which I managed to peel back, reach inside and use a broom to shut the car door.

It was midwinter, freezing, and the middle of the night as I had an early start the next day.

Don't worry a sledge hammer or pry bar will get the bikes out. Remember your priorities the bikes not the door!

My partner once let our then toddler son have my car keys, hers were in her handbag in the car. Anyway I'd only let her have my keys to open the car mid pack up after a summer camping holiday. Our son then toddled into the back of the car, dropped the car keys, climbed through to the front, pressed the lock button and climbed out again. Not knowing this I closed the doors so I could get past them with something. Without even thinking the doors would then automatically lock.

OK it was now 10am on Sunday and at had to drive home for 3 hours then unpack and get ready for work the next day. Called recovery company, one day left on that, only to find out they wouldn't help. Not even for a huge fee! Needless to say I had a good question along the lines of why give our only keys outside the car to our toddler to lose? That didn't go down well and it was now my fault!

BTW being the back end of nowhere in Wales we got no phone signal so had to use the campsite owners phone. Anyway the campsite owner got told our story, in between laughing and admitted that happened to them once, he called a mate at the local garage. He came put and levered the drivers door open enough to put an air bag in the corner which he pumped up enough to poke a metal pole through to press the door unlock button. He then took £30 off us for 5 minutes work!

Now I have my keys and nobody gets them off me. It's never happened since!

Collegue spoke to me at work. He had spent a lot of the previous night having a drink and fixing a puncture, before giving up on the whole thing and going to bed, as no matter what or how much care he took he kept getting the inner tube caught in the tyre bead.

I suggested when he got home he check the inner tube packet.

He had been trying to put a fat tyre inner tube into a road tyre and was too drunk to notice. He was so embarassed the next day, poor fellow.

Top Bottom