Examples of gross impertinence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
When we were building the current abode we got quotes of between £6000 and £7600 for windows and doors, a guy came cold calling he got the job at £4600 . I am glad I took a few minutes to see what he had to offer.

The decorator also a cold caller, brilliant guy who is now a friend.

The last time anyone appeared at my door without being invited I got all sweary; they wouldn't back down and kept persisting so I punched them in the face. That'll hopefully teach my daughter a valuable lesson, to ensure that she does not ask her friends round without letting me know beforehand.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3536199, member: 9609"]You don't happen to run a shop as well do you ?
shopwarnings_3896_zpst1l8dolf.jpg~original

I got told off for leaving the door as wide open as I possibly could.[/QUOTE]

It's a "local shop for local people". You're lucky not to have been murdered "for touching the pretty things of the shop"

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Call it disrepectful if you prefer. Basically people making assumptions about your status.

My Grandmother, long departed, told a couple of stories of the Jeweller's shop she used to manage. She steered a somewhat scruffy customer towards some cheaper items with an ill-judged "these are too expensive" type comment, only to be tipped off that they were actually a rather wealthy family who were extremely valuable customers, who ended up buying the best gold watch they stocked. As a very much working class lady herself, she was by no means a snob but it was a valuable lesson in judging by appearances, and a lesson she passed on to me as a child decades later. Another tale from the same shop was someone guiding another customer on an item of slightly garish jewellery "oh no, you'll look like a barmaid"...to the inevitable response "but I am a barmaid".

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My Grandad was in India and Burma during the war.
Years later a wee man in a turban came to the door offering to sharpen knifes.
The offer was politely declined and the man started muttering away in his native tongue, he got the shock of his life when my Grandad understood and replied.

An Indian colleague of mine had married an English chap who had duly learnt some Hindi by the time they visited India. Some hustler came up to her saying something along the lines of "bring him to our shop, and we'll can fleece him and we'll cut you in for a percentage". Her husband then replied in Hindi "f**ck off ! this is my wife you're talking to", to be met by embarrassed apologies to be fair.

brand

I tend to use a credit card for day to day purchases - a few hundred each month - and pay it all off at the end of the month
I do something similar only I put the money into a savings account and pay it off at the end of the end of the interest free period. I keep the interest. Also do the same to save up for large purchase. IE buy the item with the zero interest card and put the money in savings account. I also lie about my income, now a days by multiple of 3. They cannot check and never ask.
If you want to create a good credit score make sure you are on the electoral register. If you lived in the same house for 7 years that ups your score significantly. Of course taking out any credit helps. Make sure a direct debit is never refused by your bank PARTICULARLY for utilities. Although councils don't pass that info on but they are the first to send the bailiffs round.

brand

The implication being that my finances are so peniurous that my credit rating, should I need one, which I don't, would be materially affected by whether I'm registered to vote.
Most certainly is. It is easily the best form of creating a credit rating and costs you nothing.
It is nice to know you can see into future and know you won't need credit and therefore a credit rating. The poorer your credit rating the more you will pay in the form of higher interest rates.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Given that I have paid off my mortgage and have not taken out a loan in 20 years I wonder what mine would be, though I don't wonder enough to pay to find out.
Careful with that: I haven't needed credit for years, have a few credit cards but kept using my switch card instead.
When I wanted to change broadband provider, the prospective provider could not find a credit file for me.
Now I make sure to use my cards from time to time, just to keep my file active.
It is true, like @User said, your official presence at an address for a given time influences ones chances of getting credit.

brand

Don't Get many cold callers.
In 8 years and not in the correct order.

A regular visit from a religious group. No idea what Christian religion. Happy people so I don't tell them Jesus takes it up the ar*e.

A couple of Geordie's selling fish. Said it was going to be a regular round. He said "do you want to see what we have? my mate will come over so you can have a look"
He came over with a basket of fish, told him "just looking" He got a strop on as he said he was in a hurry. My reply was simple "so your van is not refrigerated then"
A bit of gobbing off from both of us with me finishing with a "fu*k off you Geordie c*nt"

A pikey "buy my tea towels it will bring you luck" and a load of sh*t about being down on her luck. Unbelievable her husband was in sight in a fu*king BMW! what a cheek?

People from a green initiative or something like that. They wanted to increase my insulation but had to take some out so it would be the correct amount. WHAT?

And last but not least the TV licencing man. Well I have already said what I thought of him. Another one came round last week "I live in Manchester most of the time my mother is dieing so I am looking after her, I just come back to check on my house every now and again" last time I had a wood maul in my hand so he was in no hurry to question me but my mother is dieing works just as well.

A man wanting to sell me an aerial photograph of my house. He started at £30 and accepted £5. As I put it "if you don't sell it me it who else will buy it?"

Can't think of another one. Obviously it is not efficient time wise for con men to wander round a well spread out village.

paul04

Über Member
If someone is at the door who I don't know, I don't even give them chance to speak, I just say I'm not interested and close the door, a few do knock back on the door, asking I don't know what they want.
I just say I don't want anything, and if I did I would go and get it.

screenman

Legendary Member
In all honesty I find it hard to be rude to anybody, I just say no as politely as I can. being as somebody who had to do cold calling to feed my wife and kids when starting my first business I know how hard rejection is, and if you have never felt it you have been lucky in life.

My Grandmother, long departed, told a couple of stories of the Jeweller's shop she used to manage. She steered a somewhat scruffy customer towards some cheaper items with an ill-judged "these are too expensive" type comment, only to be tipped off that they were actually a rather wealthy family who were extremely valuable customers, who ended up buying the best gold watch they stocked. As a very much working class lady herself, she was by no means a snob but it was a valuable lesson in judging by appearances, and a lesson she passed on to me as a child decades later. Another tale from the same shop was someone guiding another customer on an item of slightly garish jewellery "oh no, you'll look like a barmaid"...to the inevitable response "but I am a barmaid".

Met a real estate agent in London who approaches life similarly. Told me that he treats every client exactly the same and it has paid off immensely for him. He No sell tactics or steering the conversation to make a sale. No judgement on education, clothes, appearance, accent, colour, religion etc. He also told me the number of clients that have surprised him is so many and it is still continues.

Top Bottom