Examples of gross impertinence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
the form master, just for the hell of it, assembles a shopping list from the boys' requests, in Latin. This, needless to say, impresses the locals no end. They proceed to express their approval by freely (in Welsh) exchanging some fairly fruity views on the xxxxing English xxxxs. Having completed his list, the form master then turns to the shopkeeper to deliver it with an engaging smile, and in impeccable Welsh.
Not sure who's more at fault here, the locals for being racist or the master for being so full of himself

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
i am still waiting for Fnaar to turn up here.

you cant leave one as big as the one in the first post un Fnaared.

Clearly @Fnaar's Fnaardar is malfunctioning. That or he's distracted by the attentions of Miss Goodbody's Cupid's Bow.

Sara_H

Guru
My local authority have told me I've got to present some ID in order to continue on the electoral register.
Given that I've lived I'm the same city all my life I did enquire as to why this was necessary at the age of 42 and was given some waffle about something or other.

colly

Re member eR
An example which happens now and again is the phone ringing, me answering it, only to be asked by the caller ............'who is speaking''. In a similar vein calls when you answer that leave you hanging on waiting for someone to speak. Pretty much all sales calls. Really gets on my pips.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The last time I heard the phrase "gross impertinence" was when my Latin teacher told me off for being insolent for keeping my hands in my pockets during a telling off.
Thanks to Flick of the Finger for reminding me - I shall endeavour to bring it into my everyday conversation in future.

The last time I heard the phrase "gross impertinence" was when my Latin teacher told me off for being insolent for keeping my hands in my pockets during a telling off.
Thanks to Flick of the Finger for reminding me - I shall endeavour to bring it into my everyday conversation in future.

That's got your card marked.

gbb

Legendary Member
An example which happens now and again is the phone ringing, me answering it, only to be asked by the caller ............'who is speaking''. In a similar vein calls when you answer that leave you hanging on waiting for someone to speak. Pretty much all sales calls. Really gets on my pips.
Must remember that one, if anyone tries it on me i'll ask.....'tell me who's calling and i'll tell you who's speaking' ^_^

byegad

Legendary Member
A "no cold callers" sign is really just saying you don't want unsolicited selling. I suppose in some way the politician or religious nut is trying to get you to "buy" something in the broader sense but they are not cold callers.

I get quite a few on the phone and have fun saying "I charge £25 to take unsolicited calls, what is your billing address".

The sign says a lot more than no cold callers, it says:- No cold Callers, Hawkers or Surveys.

I could add:- Religious Nutters, Time Wasters, or Anything Else You, the Caller Can Come Up with.
I suppose I could add:-
I don't buy at the doorstep, I'm a grumpy old git and if you knock on my door expect a hostile reception.
Beyond that I think only 30 000 Volts connected through the knocker would ensure that these clowns wouldn't bother me.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The sign says a lot more than no cold callers, it says:- No cold Callers, Hawkers or Surveys.

I could add:- Religious Nutters, Time Wasters, or Anything Else You, the Caller Can Come Up with.
I suppose I could add:-
I don't buy at the doorstep, I'm a grumpy old git and if you knock on my door expect a hostile reception.
Beyond that I think only 30 000 Volts connected through the knocker would ensure that these clowns wouldn't bother me.

We had already read between the lines...

Top Bottom