Extension - finding a builder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Pondering putting company dividend towards an extension on the back of my end of terrace house to add a study/gym and a shower/wc. I vaguely understand that under permitted development I can go up to 3m beyond the current rear of the house without having to get planning which is about what I was thinking.

Clearly getting lots of personal recommendations is one way of finding a hopefully reputable builder (but not foolproof) but in the absence of such, what other routes are there? Membership of Federation of Master Builders? Anything else?

I know of a good sparky, plumber, windows company, tiler and roofer but not the people to lay the foundations, put the bricks together and paint the walls :laugh:

@PK99 you’re not too far, don’t suppose youmhappen to know anyone (preferably at Sutton rather than Wimbledon pricing :laugh:) ?

keithmac

Guru
Ask the Sparky and Plumber to recommend one.

You still have to get Building Control involved so make sure you're up to speed on what they require.

I've looked at doing ours but there's a man drain/ sewer under our patio which complicates maters.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ask these people!
They should have a better idea of the general standards of other contractors in your area than non trades people who would recommend or otherwise on the strength of a single job done at their own homes.
This is indeed one route :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ask the Sparky and Plumber to recommend one.

You still have to get Building Control involved so make sure you're up to speed on what they require.

I've looked at doing ours but there's a man drain/ sewer under our patio which complicates maters.
Cool, presumably the builders handle this stuff. I am utterly clueless on such matters!

PK99

Legendary Member
Pondering putting company dividend towards an extension on the back of my end of terrace house to add a study/gym and a shower/wc. I vaguely understand that under permitted development I can go up to 3m beyond the current rear of the house without having to get planning which is about what I was thinking.

Clearly getting lots of personal recommendations is one way of finding a hopefully reputable builder (but not foolproof) but in the absence of such, what other routes are there? Membership of Federation of Master Builders? Anything else?

I know of a good sparky, plumber, windows company, tiler and roofer but not the people to lay the foundations, put the bricks together and paint the walls :laugh:

@PK99 you’re not too far, don’t suppose youmhappen to know anyone (preferably at Sutton rather than Wimbledon pricing :laugh:) ?

These people do loads of work locally and have a very good rep. They upset a local builder I know by being significantly cheaper

https://evolutioncreations.co.uk/

These also have a good rep. Epsom based.

https://www.eganbuilders.co.uk/

Both are full service contractors, but are likely to be happy to do part jobs.

Edit

With painting, over lockdown these guys have paining our complete house inside andd out. Got them initially to do a rotten widow sill repair, was so impressed we kept calling them bac, to do more work. Spent 20k with them and got very good value.

https://www.artfulpainters.co.uk/

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks @PK99
i kind of just need an idea of cost as my cluelessness extends to having no idea on how much cash I might need!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Speak to evolution
Will do, thanks

cheshirerob

Shame you're not over this way I could build it for cyclechat rates.
I would look in your local area to see who is having building works done and ask the homeowners opinions (after the builders have left for the day).
I would never source from trade directory websites or the FMB as good builders don't need to pay for job leads.

There are two extensions near me back to back. One where they tied in the extension to the main house and it all looks seamless and another where they butted up the extension to the house and there is a very long line of cement holding the two together. The prior looks “natural” as if it was always there and the latter will require maintenance in years to come as the mortar comes away and fails.
Cheapest is not always best, as well as personal recommendations I would ask for people who are open to you speaking to their customers to get a true reflection of their service.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Makes sense. It’s not a very posh house and I doubt I’ll still be here in 10 years time!
I’d also like minimal disruption while I’m working!

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Cool, presumably the builders handle this stuff. I am utterly clueless on such matters!

It's the owners responsibility to make sure it's all in order, would be a mindfield when you come to sell the house if it's not been signed off.

A quick google should give you some idea.

Building Control will want to inspect the foundations and various stages of the build.

Hopefully builder will advise at least.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's the owners responsibility to make sure it's all in order, would be a mindfield when you come to sell the house if it's not been signed off.

A quick google should give you some idea.

Building Control will want to inspect the foundations and various stages of the build.

Hopefully builder will advise at least.
That’s just through the council presumably?
Edit, found it :okay:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
It probably works differently all over the country but if I was doing a project like that in an area I didn't know about builders, I would speak to an architect who could project manage the whole thing. A bit more expensive but I've seen it go wrong too many times for the unwary.

Top Bottom