Having trouble finding a dentist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’ve been having a gum infection and thought I should go to the dentist. I called ‘The White teeth’ dental centre which we’ve used before for an appointment fully expecting something in the next day or two only to be given one at 4:00 today. They’ve just called me saying I can come as early as I like.
So if you can stump up the $5/600 air ticket you might like to come here.

Kevberlin

Thankyou for the kind invitation. We in Third World UK need all the help we can get.👍🥴

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can laugh. Most of my family has been ditched as NHS patients as the practice only wants paying clients and those seeking botox etc.

We do have a fallback in that my brother is a dentist and sees most of our and his wife's family if we need him.

GetFatty

Über Member
I broke my front tooth a few weeks ago and considered having all my teeth out (as I have quite a lot of broken teeth) and dentures. I called a dentist I'd never used before expecting to have to stump up £2000 or so. Seen very quickly (and 3 times since) and he put me on NHS costs without even asking. Keeping some teeth but bottom denture will be fitted on Thursday this week with the top set being done after Xmas. I think 11 teeth out and two dentures for £600 is good value.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
A chap I used to talk to in the market in Newcastle used to go to Thailand every year to get his teeth seen to. This was pre-covid so I expect he had to miss some of his appointments.

I've been with the same dentist all my life and I get the feeling they're very busy at the moment and they seem to have a high turnover of dentists. Not the receptionist though - she'll retire in a year or so having worked since she left school!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A couple of months wait is the norm in my area.
I booked my next 6 months check up appointment on the same day I had it done.
Mind, my dentist thinks that from next year they won't be so busy, as the NHS will finance only one yearly check up for patients - currently you get 2 free check ups a year.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Mind, my dentist thinks that from next year they won't be so busy, as the NHS will finance only one yearly check up for patients - currently you get 2 free check ups a year.

Another bubble burst. Last time I went to the dentist (April this year) she said "your teeth are fine, I only need to see you in a year's time" which I took to mean I was looking after them really well.
Turns out it's the funding being pulled, grrrrrrrr.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Another bubble burst. Last time I went to the dentist (April this year) she said "your teeth are fine, I only need to see you in a year's time" which I took to mean I was looking after them really well.
I'm still going for my second one, imo it's money well spent.
The pain of sore teeth is the worst imo, even worse than when I ripped my knee cartilage!

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Better the funding being pulled rather than your teeth.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
This year I went to my dentist with no appointment at 8 a.m. with bad toothache and asked to be seen as an emergency, by 8.30 a wisdom tooth was lying in a dish and my pain was gone.
Its worth £18.00 per month to be in the dental plan I think.
The NHS often doesn't cover the dentists cost that why a lot of them have come out of it or will only do minimal NHS work.

rualexander

Legendary Member

The timescale between check-ups in Scotland is now decided by your dentist, and can be between 3 months and two years depending on your dental health.
https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-living/dental-health/visiting-the-dentist/your-dental-check-up/
My dentist told me last month that I will now be yearly, but there are people with worse dental health than mine who she would keep on the six monthly schedule

midlife

Guru
I broke my front tooth a few weeks ago and considered having all my teeth out (as I have quite a lot of broken teeth) and dentures. I called a dentist I'd never used before expecting to have to stump up £2000 or so. Seen very quickly (and 3 times since) and he put me on NHS costs without even asking. Keeping some teeth but bottom denture will be fitted on Thursday this week with the top set being done after Xmas. I think 11 teeth out and two dentures for £600 is good value.

Maximum NHS fee is £306.80, not sure where the £600 came from if you are an NHS patient

GetFatty

Über Member
Maximum NHS fee is £306.80, not sure where the £600 came from if you are an NHS patient

He’s doing the top set as a separate piece of work as it will be quite some time in between (I need some top teeth removing in hospital). I’m ok with this

Fastpedaller

Here in Norfolk there is a major shortage of dentists. In our local Town the BUPA dentist isn't taking any new patients neither NHS or Private

Top Bottom