Having trouble finding a dentist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A couple of months wait is the norm in my area.
I booked my next 6 months check up appointment on the same day I had it done.
Mind, my dentist thinks that from next year they won't be so busy, as the NHS will finance only one yearly check up for patients - currently you get 2 free check ups a year.

We are the same,had to see an emergency dentist last year and couldn't even get in

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I was booted off my nhs dental practice 3 years ago. I phoned around 3 private practices and didn't even get a call back. I'm happy to go on a dental plan buy haven't even managed to get through to anyone.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The Government need to get a grip with this as people are actually dying from dental infections and also going into intensive care etc. If you have bad toothache you cant just get on with it. People end up going on Facebook etc saying they are desperate and are considering ending it all because they cant cope any longer with it. They say they don't mind paying privately but still cant get anywhere.
Its disgusting really as the U.K is one of the richest nations.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The timescale between check-ups in Scotland is now decided by your dentist, and can be between 3 months and two years depending on your dental health.
https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-living/dental-health/visiting-the-dentist/your-dental-check-up/
My dentist told me last month that I will now be yearly, but there are people with worse dental health than mine who she would keep on the six monthly schedule
That may well be, but only one a year is founded by the NHS from next year, according to my dentist.
Obviously we can pay for more.

rualexander

Legendary Member
That may well be, but only one a year is founded by the NHS from next year, according to my dentist.
Obviously we can pay for more.
Not according to my dentist or the NHS Scotland websites.
The dentist's decides the frequency but if you need check ups more frequently then they should be free of charge.

"From 1 November 2023, you may notice that there are some changes to the way your NHS dental treatment is delivered. Your dentist will determine how often you should have a NHS dental examination based on your treatment needs to ensure the best possible care. This may range from less than 6 months to every 2 years. If you are seen less often than 12 months then this is a sign of good oral health. "

If it's an NHS dental examination then it has to be free of charge.

I guess change was inevitable after the pandemic.
At my first visit to my dentist during covid (emergency appointment for toothache) she said she couldn't see how they could ever get back to normal due to the backlog and the fact that dentistry students were having to repeat a year which would worsen the shortage of dentists.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
My dentist said that they have had young people in like 18 and under that there teeth are so badly gone from not brushing and eating sweets etc that they have needed full dentures. Its not that unusual now because a lot have never had any access to a dentist. They dont even do school dentists now.

Fastpedaller

That's tragic. I remember a long time ago (maybe 30 -40 years) UK was lauded as the best dental health in the World, now are we possibly one of the worst of the wealth Counties?

postman

Legendary Member
During Covid we were asked only to come for emergencies.What is it three four years ago.No contact since from them,not even for a cash cow cleaning and inspection.It could be interesting because i have to tell the chemo if i need dental treatment.

midlife

Guru
Hospitals delivering chemo often have a dental service they use to check people over. Often an offshoot of the Community Dental Service.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Even if you have an NHS dentist they often wont do anything above very basic work anyway. I think people just need to get their head around having to pay privately and that's its cheaper in the long run to be in the dentists plan. People generally though don't like paying for anything and have unrealistic ideas about how much any medical treatments actually cost.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I was 14 I had a few teeth removed and they didn't knock me out properly and as a result I was aware of everything and felt the lot. Unsurprisingly, I haven't been to a dentist since - other than in the Army - and I'm user fastidious about brushing to ensure as long as possible before I need to be butchered again. I had a physical check-over before I retired nearly 7 years ago and the doctor (not a dentist) reckoned me teeth were pretty good.

Couple of years back, on one of my regular trips to Blighty, I cracked a bridge. Tried to get an NHS appointment - they said try again in 6 months.
Had the thing sorted back here instead - replacement bridge, a crown that also needed doing, and 3 fillings.
Came to around 1700 quid, not sure how this compares to private treatment back there, but happy to pay for a hassle free experience and excellent service. Many folks combine hols here with dental treatment, facelifts etc, and easy to see why.
Luckily I don't need any plastic surgery, no point trying to gild a lily.

Top Bottom