Having trouble finding a dentist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Right on cue:

BBC News - NHS dentistry as we know it 'gone for good'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983

Private dental plans seem to be the way to go. My cousin pays £40 a month for cover. So it could indeed be worth coming down here for treatment.

Mine is £18.50 per month and that's includes 2 check ups,2 hygienist appointments with scale and polishes, xrays every 2 years or before if needed and emergency cover. They will see you the same day if you have toothache.
My elderly Mum needed a new pair of dentures and they were 1K and these were the cheapest at the dentist. Not a prayer you can get them on the NHS here now. Unemployed people in need of dentures have been asking on the main cities Facebook page for help re finding a NHS dentist to help. They cant get work due to having no teeth.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine is £18.50 per month and that's includes 2 check ups,2 hygienist appointments with scale and polishes, xrays every 2 years or before if needed and emergency cover. They will see you the same day if you have toothache.

Mine is the same cover but £15.81 a month, a lovely dentist too. Also covers emergency dental treatment worldwide I believe

Fastpedaller

Indeed, it’s just an instalment scheme for routine preventive treatment which saves a bit over ad hoc payments

It's my understanding that many private practices will only take on patients who subscribe to such schemes, so maybe 'ad-hoc' isn't possible anyway?

vickster

Legendary Member
It's my understanding that many private practices will only take on patients who subscribe to such schemes, so maybe 'ad-hoc' isn't possible anyway?

I don’t know, I’ve been with mine for years. If you’re a regular dentist go-er, it makes sense to spread the cost,
The last NHS dentist I had was dreadful, ok dentist left, replacement was horrible and it wasn’t possible to choose who to see. Kept waiting for ages, a cursory look over and see you again in a year. Not acceptable for me, reflective of much of my NHS experience to be honest. I saw a very nice GP this morning, but did have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

I have to be a little bit careful as to what I say as I am not allowed to make negative comments on the NHS or my employer but it's fair to say the the government has let NHS dentistry wither on the vine and we are going to see it essentially disappear........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983

Nothing wrong with transparency ( or there shouldn't be)..... but I understand your reluctance to say too much

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some very good news today! I had an x-ray at the hospital last July, regarding me wanting teeth extractions, but not sure If I can have them due to Osteoradionecrosis in my jaw. I went to see my dentist today after finally getting the x-ray result back. The good news is that I can have extractions. I've been referred to a nearer to home dental practice to discuss my treatment. According to the dentist I saw today the dental practice I've been referred to has an onsite dental consultant, more qualified than the dentist I saw today, who is allowed to extract some of my teeth. So after years of having fillings on a lost cause I can now say goodbye to those problem teeth! The dentist today said I'll have to wait about 6 weeks after extractions to be measured for a plate as the gums will need to heal and go back into place. I'm not bothered about having an inch gap on the front of my bottom jaw. After having those greying, chipped teeth and the stress they've caused, a gap in my teeth for 6 weeks won't bother me at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom