Extras at the till

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Is it just me or do others not care for this practice.

It used to be just shoe shops who tried to flog you other products at the till ie polish etc (as if you have never cleaned shoes before and don't already own the stuff)

Then when buying a paper being asked if you would like to buy a large bar of chocolate to go with it (no thanks if I had wanted one I would have asked)

Buying a Big Mac meal, would you like to go large (oh FFS)

Now the latest at Wicks while buying some stone chipings, would you like to donate 50p to Alzheimers charity. (don't get me wrong there is a lot of good reasons to donate to charity and perhaps Alzheimers support might be a good idea considering my ever rapidly increasing advance into old age, but I don't want asking at the till, I only came to buy chippings, so just take my cash)

I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It is called up selling. And many staff are incentivised to do it. Or disciplined if they don't.
Just say no.

TVC

I've noticed more of the asking for donations on the till these days. The one I really don't like is the charity bag packers in supermarkets, normally kids who just sling things in your carriers and who get huffy then stand in the way if you say no whilst their parents watch you. They used to be for proper worthy charities like guide dogs or Marie Curie, now we have to put up with the local kids rugby team raising money to go on a jolly to France. Nope.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Another annoying one is the presence of a tips jar on the counter at a business that only offers a transaction at the counter itself. Coffee shops (Costa etc) are particularly bad for this, and you see it in some sandwich shops too.

tyred

Legendary Member
Would you like to take out an extended warranty on your toaster for almost as much as it it costs to buy a new one?
Nope!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
What's this,i asked? "23p goes to the farmer to help keep them going,when you buy this 1 litre of milk" i was told. Feck that i thought. Did any farmer send me a donation when i lost my job,i thought.:headshake: The milk went back on the shelf,to be replaced by the non donational one.

IIRC that wasn't a donation thing. Farmers are woefully underpaid by the supermarkets for their milk and 23p per litre being returned to farm would probably go a long way to keeping it viable. I know farmers that if they only relied on their milk heards they would be running at a large loss.
Why did so many farmers vote Brexit ? Mainly because they were fed a crock that post exit the supermarkets would amazingly start to pay them way more for their produce out of some patriotic sense of duty/

Top Bottom