Extras at the till

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I was asked for my email address at the till in maplins last week ...

can I have your email address please

me...no, I don't want a load of advertising emails

I cant complete the sale without it

me ..you just lost a sale then , see ya :wacko:

Halfords ask you if you would like a copy of the receipt emailing. I've problem them asking as long as they have no problem me telling them no.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Is it just me or do others not care for this practice.

It used to be just shoe shops who tried to flog you other products at the till ie polish etc (as if you have never cleaned shoes before and don't already own the stuff)

Then when buying a paper being asked if you would like to buy a large bar of chocolate to go with it (no thanks if I had wanted one I would have asked)

Buying a Big Mac meal, would you like to go large (oh FFS)

Now the latest at Wicks while buying some stone chipings, would you like to donate 50p to Alzheimers charity. (don't get me wrong there is a lot of good reasons to donate to charity and perhaps Alzheimers support might be a good idea considering my ever rapidly increasing advance into old age, but I don't want asking at the till, I only came to buy chippings, so just take my cash)

I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew.
When I go shopping I only ever buy what I set out to buy, I'd ignore a Bianchi for a tener unless I'd set out specifically to buy a Bianchi.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A paywall is a strictly commercial transaction. The Guardian phrases their cup-rattling like a charity donation.
You could always give them some money and get rid of the reminder.

lutonloony

Über Member
Large Americano please. Would you like milk in that. Oh what's a flat white then I ask. That's an ordinary black coffee with milk in . So not an Americano then. I might have to step up my training programme for them

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
An Americano is espresso with hot water added, and you can optionally put milk in it, or take it black. A flat white is another thing entirely, it's closest to a latte and has a foam.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Toyota main dealer phoned me the other day after I had been in for a product recall repair to the airbag. They were just 'updating their records' they said and asked for my e-mail address. Bought the car there 15 years ago and had the warranty services done there only. Needless to say they were told they can write or phone me if they want to 'catch up' again later.

Top Bottom