Extras at the till

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
What's this,i asked? "23p goes to the farmer to help keep them going,when you buy this 1 litre of milk" i was told. Feck that i thought. Did any farmer send me a donation when i lost my job,i thought.:headshake: The milk went back on the shelf,to be replaced by the non donational one.
Cobblers! That's roughly what they were paid for it. Often it's less, a lot less.

farmgate_prices_graph.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe i just don't like farmers,who i see as anti cyclists,when they litter the roads and cycle lanes with cow crap and mud. Not to mention them driving their tractors in the middle of country lanes regardless of oncoming traffic,especially groups of cyclists.

Then stop eating anything and I mean anything that farmers grow.

BrynCP

Über Member
"Would you like to spend £100 on a HDMI cable to go with your new Blu-Ray player?"

"No thanks."

"If you don't the picture quality will look like a standard DVD"

"Will it fark, you spotty little prick!"
Currys tried this with a friend buying a TV, he said no, and they continued their sales pitch for the cable. He didn't even need a cable at all as it was for using Netflix etc. built in! They wouldn't give up so he walked out. Problem is the "spotty little prick" wouldn't care that much that he walked out most likely as most of his commission is in that cable (which Currys deny). I'm not a confrontational person so I just ignore it, but it's really sad when I hear them con people into buying the cable, the insurance and everything else going, especially the elderly.

gavgav

Guru
Is it just me or do others not care for this practice.

It used to be just shoe shops who tried to flog you other products at the till ie polish etc (as if you have never cleaned shoes before and don't already own the stuff)

Then when buying a paper being asked if you would like to buy a large bar of chocolate to go with it (no thanks if I had wanted one I would have asked)

Buying a Big Mac meal, would you like to go large (oh FFS)

Now the latest at Wicks while buying some stone chipings, would you like to donate 50p to Alzheimers charity. (don't get me wrong there is a lot of good reasons to donate to charity and perhaps Alzheimers support might be a good idea considering my ever rapidly increasing advance into old age, but I don't want asking at the till, I only came to buy chippings, so just take my cash)

I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew.
It does my head in! If I'd wanted some chocolate fingers then I would have picked some up whilst going around the shop. Same goes for places like Burger King and KFC asking "is that a large". No, if I'd wanted a large then I would have asked for one!

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Problem is the "spotty little prick" wouldn't care that much that he walked out most likely as most of his commission is in that cable (which Currys deny).
The problem is that what needs to be "upsold" is decided by a manager in an office who never has to face a customer or have the boredom of repeating something dozens of times a day. The person on the shop floor rarely gets a small amount of money, more often a bollocking from a manager because they haven't hit their sales targets or have failed a mystery shop.

When I used to work in hotels "head office" decided that it would be a great idea to oversell the rooms, on the basis a lot of the time some people didn't show up. What they neglected to think about is that when everyone did show up someone on night shift would have to break the news at 11pm that actually there wasn't a room for a guest.

After a few very angry customers they decided against it.

I was asked for my email address at the till in maplins last week ...

can I have your email address please

me...no, I don't want a load of advertising emails

I cant complete the sale without it

me ..you just lost a sale then , see ya :wacko:

TVC

I was asked for my email address at the till in maplins last week ...

can I have your email address please

me...no, I don't want a load of advertising emails

I cant complete the sale without it

me ..you just lost a sale then , see ya :wacko:
Evans did that to me recently, I was only buying an inner tube and some gels and they wanted my full contact details. I refused and said they were just data farming.

Top Bottom