Extras at the till

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You could always give them some money and get rid of the reminder.
Difficult to believe, but I'm not entirely without pity. However, the doe-eyed pleading and outstretched palms of the worthy scribblers of Guardian Media Group will not persuade me to part with my hard-earned moolah.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I must be very intimidating because whenever anyone asks if I want a chocolate bar, give an email address etc, I say "No thanks" and that's it.
Are you sure you lot aren't exaggerating?

I engage the bag packers in conversation, advise them how I want the bag packed and give 'em some dosh. After all they're kids learning if they want something they have to do something for it. Some causes are perhaps more worthy than others but the principal is the same.

it's also not always obvious what's going on. My son did a bag pack for a S.Africa trip. On the face of it it looked like they were collecting money to go to S.Africa and have a nice time but in fact they were collecting money for the charity that the school supported and through donations, effectively paid for two permanent full time staff and many projects. He and everyone else paid his own way to get there.

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
it's also not always obvious what's going on. My son did a bag pack for a S.Africa trip. On the face of it it looked like they were collecting money to go to S.Africa and have a nice time but in fact they were collecting money for the charity that the school supported and through donations, effectively paid for two permanent full time staff and many projects. He and everyone else paid his own way to get there.
Hopefully nothing to do with World Action / Planet Aid / CICD aka The Teacher's Group

Stephenite

Membå
Today at the supermarket i was asked if i wanted to register with my thumbprint!

'You want me to register my thumbprint?', I asked. 'No. You can register your shop with your thumbprint.', said the semi-robot.

I was only buying some paracetemol for a persistent hangover.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I asked the girl at Argos why they always ask for your email address. The reply was: " It is in case you lose your till receipt and you bring it back within the warrantee period. We can trace when you bought it then." It makes sense but she still didn't get my email address.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know a couple of dairy farmers that would love that graph

ETA

Just made a call, my numbers were incorrect. but currently he's selling his milk at a 7% loss /

Not defending the supermarkets and their undoubted ruthlessness, but if I was making long-term 7% loss on milk I could simply get rid of all my cows and make more money. This doesn't ring true frankly.

Similarly we are told insurance companies lose money on car insurance, yet they all seem to keep trading rather than shutting shop

classic33

Leg End Member
Not defending the supermarkets and their undoubted ruthlessness, but if I was making long-term 7% loss on milk I could simply get rid of all my cows and make more money. This doesn't ring true frankly.

Similarly we are told insurance companies lose money on car insurance, yet they all seem to keep trading rather than shutting shop
The milk is often seen as a by-product(They require milking anyway), before the final product.

screenman

Legendary Member

Something tells me that you may not be a farmer.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

A farmers herd is'nt an asset to be scrapped on a whim. The herd is everything.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
IMG_0918.JPG

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
[QUOTE 4969441, member: 45"]They do. We know a farming family in Cornwall who stopped producing milk, turned to beef farming and built log cabins in a field for holiday homes. Because they couldn't live off dairy farming.[/QUOTE]

One if my clients was a dairy farmer and has now retired the entire herd due to the milk prices. Mineral water costs MORE! Nuts.

They have turned all the sheds and buildings into units. Diversification? Nope: Survival.

Top Bottom