F****** livid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

To go over the handlebars means you had little/no chance to react and therefore sounds like 100% the 3rd parties fault.

Sad the decent people in society just have to suck their teeth and move on whilst the idiots get away all sorts.

swansonj

Guru

Sad the decent people in society just have to suck their teeth and move on whilst the idiots get away all sorts.
I agree, though personally I'm not sure I'd have been bold enough to bring our Prime Minister into a thread on cycling on tow paths :smile:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Do anglers require insurance - just in case said pole trips someone up, or knocks off a pesky cyclists ?

I ride canals a lot - quite enjoy them. Nice hello etc. Not had an issue with big poles, as the folk I've encountered shift them, or make sure they aren't blocking the tow path.
They are the responsible ones. I don't fish canals myself but if I did I would permanently be on the lookout for cyclists. I've heard too many tales of £2,000 pound poles being crushed by cyclists running over them. The odd time I have fished a canal I have used rod & line for that reason. When an angler is concentrating on the fishing, he's looking in front of him and this one probably didn't hear the bike coming. That's no excuse for not looking when he shipped the pole in though. He was at fault - no question of it.

A word for other cyclists though, please be aware that this might happen, just as unwary car drivers might open a car door without checking for cyclists. A little ping on a bell might help...

Edit: I don't know the rules on canals, but fishing clubs usually have insurance for their members on the lakes they own fishing rights for. The club I was last in had insurance - the guy who owned the land insisted on it before he let us fish there.

lane

Veteran
What's the situation with fishing people blocking canal paths with their poles are they allowed to do this and inconviene cyclists who have to stop so they can be moved out the way before proceeding?

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the situation with fishing people blocking canal paths with their poles are they allowed to do this and inconviene cyclists who have to stop so they can be moved out the way before proceeding?
Presumably it’s just another example of unthinking inconsiderate human

Just cycle across the poles if no bunny hopping skills :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
After carefully assessing the physical characteristics of the owner, and the likelihood that you'll be returning that way any time soon ...
All assuming he’s even looking in that direction, unlikely. More likely to be thinking about fishing, ie not very much at all. If people leave their possessions lying around in a public place in the way, then that’s their lookout

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I suspect that the expensive cracking noise would get their attention PDQ, and not in a good way. :smile:

In the same situation, I would probably compromise - dismount and wheel my bike over the rod, while pointing out the possible consequences had another, less careful cyclist stayed on the bike.

No point in provoking needless confrontation when you can get the message across more pleasantly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When an angler is concentrating on the fishing, he's looking in front of him .

That's a new one ! Concentrating on fishing. Bit like watching paint dry. :laugh:

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I suspect that the expensive cracking noise would get their attention PDQ, and not in a good way. :smile:

In the same situation, I would probably compromise - dismount and wheel my bike over the rod, while pointing out the possible consequences had another, less careful cyclist stayed on the bike.

No point in provoking needless confrontation when you can get the message across more pleasantly.

I didn't have time to dismount and wheel my bike over the rod!

Drago

Legendary Member
A lot of these muppets don't realise that since British Waterways gave way to the Canal and River Trust, cycling is now permitted on the towpaths whereas it was not previously so without a permit.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Good job it wasn't raining
Poles are horrible to use if its raining, for several reasons.

I've been thinking about the incident under discussion and I reckon the fisherman was an idiot. When you have a towpath behind you (or a footpath if you are fishing a lake or river) with people using it, it makes sense to break the pole down every second section as you ship it in... and lay the pieces down parallel with the water. That way cyclists and pedestrians aren't inconvenienced - and you don't incur expensive pole repairs! But there are numbnuts in all sports/hobbies I suppose. Glasgow44 met one that day, unfortunately.

btw these idiots also complain every time a barge comes along because they have to get their pole out of the way. The ones with common sense accept barges, pedestrians (with or without bait-eating dogs) & cyclists as a normal part of canal fishing.

Last word from me: Anglers who DON'T concentrate on their fishing are the ones who go home at the end of the day having caught nothing. Just saying...

Top Bottom