Facebook. Others have done it. My turn now. Dumped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The way I use it is like a global directory. I don't post much at all on there ( 2 posts in 4 years) and never really check what is going on (apart from my Cycling Club) but if people want to get in contact with me directly they have a way.

AndyRM

XOXO
I was "more or less" forced to join fb as a family member was organising a funeral and details were on it.
I hardly ever go on it....or understand it.
So........
One time I got a request to be someones friend........I had not seen this person for many years and doubt I ever will.......so.........I declined.
How did I know fb would notify them!!!!! I am told by a relative thay I had really offended the person concerned :ohmy:

I can't speak for 3rd party apps, but the standard Facebook app doesn't do this. Declining a request, doesn't get flagged to the other user. Chances are they are obsessed with the number of "friends" they have and we're miffed not to see you amongst them.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Before deleting my account I'd got to the point where I'd unfollowed all the prolific facebook posters. I was not interested in their tin-pot political views, their cheap re-cycled philosophy, their round-robin posts which demanded to be shared, their jumping on the bandwagon sentiments, pictures of what they were eating for dinner and all the other nonsense which filled up my news feed. I also preferred to live my life without logging and uploading the details for others to see. When I eventually deleted my account the only thing I missed for a while was messenger, but I now use Hangouts to keep in touch with the people that matter. I can see that facebook has it's uses, but it's just not for me thanks.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'm always glad to hear when someone gets a part of their life back.
Other than CC(and I don't count that as Social Media),I don't do any Faceplook or Twatter.
When I tell people that,they are astonished :ohmy: .I bumped into someone after 16 years who said they had been looking for me on FB.When I told him he wouldn't find me on any social media ,he said " but everyone does it"
Really ?
Right up his street actually,he is a terrible gossip.
Starts every second sentence with " Did ye hear aboot"
I don't do Faceplant either. CC is the nearest I get to social media. I have no need to share on FB what I had for breakfast etc. Thinking of getting rid of my LinkedIn though. Most people who want to connect with me on it are my fellow workers anyway whom I spend 8 hours a day with!.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It looks to me like the biggest problem is that people seem to have very boring or annoying or pointless Facebook 'friends'. Perhaps thinking about who you think of as a friend and why would be more useful than complaining about how you communicate with those friends. I fell into the trap of just adding people a few years back, but then I went through my 'friends' and decided who it was who I actually wanted to hear from and really liked or valued, and got rid of all the rest. I now have a steady 200 or so* FB friends, a mix of local connections, a few family, and old friends from around the world, and I'm quite happy with that (*coincidentally or not, this is not far off Dunbar's numbers, which should please @GaryA...).

Twitter is a whole different story. I basically use Twitter for interesting notifications in my field of work. It means journalists and other academics get in touch with me and vice-versa and it's very useful.

I don't use professional networks like LinkedIn, which IMHO are the worst and most pointless of all social networks. But then I'm not looking for a job...

Sandra6

Veteran
Before deleting my account I'd got to the point where I'd unfollowed all the prolific facebook posters. I was not interested in their tin-pot political views, their cheap re-cycled philosophy, their round-robin posts which demanded to be shared, their jumping on the bandwagon sentiments, pictures of what they were eating for dinner and all the other nonsense which filled up my news feed. I also preferred to live my life without logging and uploading the details for others to see. When I eventually deleted my account the only thing I missed for a while was messenger, but I now use Hangouts to keep in touch with the people that matter. I can see that facebook has it's uses, but it's just not for me thanks.
Last time I deactivated I lost messenger, but this time it's stayed in its own right. Very useful for oldest son to get in touch with me for free.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
For those who you are fond of but who post irritating stuff, you can 'unfollow', or demote (FB has categories: Family; Best friends, Friends, etc. And you can create your own.). Most of my FB stuff is with groups I manage or belong to. I am not confronted by much rubbish.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I reluctantly rejoined FB about ten months ago, just because there seems to be no other way to stay in touch with some stuff going on locally (e.g. the Waltham Forest "Mini Holland" scheme). I added very very few friends and hardly ever post, but the bottom line is that there is stuff going on on Facebook that there is no other way to find out about short of phoning up people I hardly even know and asking them to double their workload by telling everything to me personally that they've already told to everyone else via Facebook.

Doesn't mean I don't still despise FB as a corporation and their ever-more-desparate attempts to find out more about me so they can package my interests for their advertisers, but boycotting them just isn't practical

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...the_social_network_anymore_so_what_is_it.html

Lonestar

Veteran
  • Left it years ago.Think I lasted a month.One colleague on there drove me off ranting about cyclists endlessly and I'd had enough of him at work.Let alone home.He seems to have grown up a bit though.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
One of my issues with FB were the incessant adverts and 'suggestions' of things I might like. I set the adverts and Spam to the things I actually like and still continued getting irrelevant garbage ads.
I'd already trimmed 'friends' down to about 70 after having fallen into the trap of adding too many people.
According to the mail I received from FB Central is that I have 13 days to change my mind.

One of my issues with FB were the incessant adverts and 'suggestions' of things I might like. I set the adverts and Spam to the things I actually like and still continued getting irrelevant garbage ads.
I'd already trimmed 'friends' down to about 70 after having fallen into the trap of adding too many people.
According to the mail I received from FB Central is that I have 13 days to change my mind.

Don't

MarkF

Guru
I reluctantly rejoined FB about ten months ago, just because there seems to be no other way to stay in touch with some stuff going on locally (e.g. the Waltham Forest "Mini Holland" scheme). I added very very few friends and hardly ever post, but the bottom line is that there is stuff going on on Facebook that there is no other way to find out about short of phoning up people I hardly even know and asking them to double their workload by telling everything to me personally that they've already told to everyone else via Facebook.

Doesn't mean I don't still despise FB as a corporation and their ever-more-desparate attempts to find out more about me so they can package my interests for their advertisers, but boycotting them just isn't practical

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...the_social_network_anymore_so_what_is_it.html

I've never been on it and have a hectic social life, can't say I've missed anything. I keep getting asked to join, the last time on Friday night when I bumped into an old pal, he'd searched for me, now I like him but for every person I "know" that I like, there are far more that I don't want to contact me.

Pals at work keep showing me pics of women I work with, its like a game, I can't recognise them from their profile pics because they have been "enhanced" so much. It seems very competitive. That's odd to me, is that just a female thing on FB?

One post said "My new sofa" and there it was, a grey, 2 seater sofa, plain as can be. I mean, what can you say? What's the point?

Last edited:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Last time I deactivated I lost messenger, but this time it's stayed in its own right. Very useful for oldest son to get in touch with me for free.
If you have problems with Messenger again, it might be worth using Whatsapp (if you don't already), very similar to Messenger, but personally I prefer it. It is free and you can set up groups very easily. I am in various groups, such as my Monday night drinking buddies, but most importantly is one for our family which enables me, my wife, daughter and son to chat while they are away in London and Thailand. You can also use it as a free telephone as long as you ave access to the internet, my son rings us from Thailand, and vice versa, free of charge using Whatsapp.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If you have problems with Messenger again, it might be worth using Whatsapp (if you don't already), very similar to Messenger, but personally I prefer it. It is free and you can set up groups very easily. I am in various groups, such as my Monday night drinking buddies, but most importantly is one for our family which enables me, my wife, daughter and son to chat while they are away in London and Thailand. You can also use it as a free telephone as long as you ave access to the internet, my son rings us from Thailand, and vice versa, free of charge using Whatsapp.

This is the same Whatsapp that is also owned by... Facebook.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/19/technology/social/facebook-whatsapp/index.html

subaqua

What’s the point
I've never been on it and have a hectic social life, can't say I've missed anything. I keep getting asked to join, the last time on Friday night when I bumped into an old pal, he'd searched for me, now I like him but for every person I "know" that I like, there are far more that I don't want to contact me.

Pals at work keep showing me pics of women I work with, its like a game, I can't recognise them from their profile pics because they have been "enhanced" so much. It seems very competitive. That's odd to me, is that just a female thing on FB?

One post said "My new sofa" and there it was, a grey, 2 seater sofa, plain as can be. I mean, what can you say? What's the point?

i rejoined , but using a new email and identity as it is purely for the dive club stuff. too much was being organised via facebook and whilst i think it stinks that nobody considered those who don't do facebook and complained vehemently at the time i had to relent . i did however make my 1st post - " any farmville or game requests will result in me killing and eating you" so far so good.

whatsapp i knew about but again wanted to avoid , until last weekend on training trip when it was easier to stay in the loop on what was happening.

Top Bottom