England : Kent Fairies Audax : 50km-300km 1st July - Should I be brave?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I have been toying with the idea of an Audax for sometime - as I seem to be getting better MPH over longer distance, it is not competitive and it's all down to me

I see that theres a local Audax with distances ranging from 50km to 300km! I am looking at doing the 50km (just over 31 miles) as it's my first one! I am excited to do it - just a few things that make me nervous:
  • The Route - Worried about keep having to stop? I am hoping I can download the route to strava and get a phone holder for my bike. Or actually just try sync the route to Google Maps and do a test drive in the car/bike?
  • Checkpoints? - it is saying I obviously need to stop to get my card stamped. But on an FAQ it says it may ask landmark questions?
These questions may seem silly but I just want to be as prepared as possible. It is on 1st July so I still have some time to get sorted.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There are no silly questions when you haven't done an Audax before.
You will be fine Charlotte.

Don't drive it before hand, you'll spoil the route. The whole thing about Audax rides is new roads and rides. Drive it in a car and you lose that.
Anyway, you will know most of the roads anyway.

As to checkpoints.
There maybe a cafe checkpoint where someone may stamp your Brevet card or a sticker on the counter which you take and put in the space on your card.
Landmark questions are exactly that. ie On signpost at T Junction at mile 10, what is the distance to where ever. What is the time of collection on the post box at mile 22 etc

Sign up and have a jolly day, everyone is super friendly on Audax. There is always someone to chat with and help you on your way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Thanks @ianrauk - I will see you both there as I will be doing the 50km - are both of you entering?

i just don't even know if I am gonna remember the stuff it will ask me on the questions! Oh sod it, I will just sign upand have a go...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good for you, you'll enjoy.

We have both entered the 100 :-)

As to remembering, take a pen and at each landmark or control, fill in the Brevet Card. Or take a photo with your phone and fill in the card at the end.

the snail

Guru
Good for you, you'll enjoy.

We have both entered the 100 :-)

As to remembering, take a pen and at each landmark or control, fill in the Brevet Card. Or take a photo with your phone and fill in the card at the end.
Or if you need to, just ask someone what the answer is. I always try and stop and write the answer down, otherwise I've forgotten the answer within 5 seconds. Don't get in a sweat about anything, audax is pretty friendly and people are happy to help each other out.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah, as it's my first one - I won't sweat too much, I have been in contact with the organiser and that has put my mind at ease. Also it's why I have chosen to shorter distance so I don't have to worry about the route etc.

Top tip. If you are following a group of riders because your gps is fubar, make sure they are on the same audax or you may end up 20 mile out of your way and lost when they pull into their driveway.:blush:

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Top tip. If you are following a group of riders because your gps is fubar, make sure they are on the same audax or you may end up 20 mile out of your way and lost when they pull into their driveway.:blush:

Speaking from experience?! Thankfully as Ian says .I know the roads round here which are featuring in the route which is always helpful x

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I started Audax a little more than a season ago and I’m utterly smitten. I learned to use the route cards first (traditional styleee) even though I had downloaded the GPX file to my Wahoo. Some people use phones but they don’t have the legs for the longer Audax events.

My first event was a lumpy 100 and I was amazed at how tired I was. I was also amazed at the strength of the local riders although I managed to find people to ride with. Very sociable way of doing the best roads. I spent a lot of time riding alone which was a surprise as it was a popular event.

I have built up to 200s and in July I do my first 300. Who knows what will happen in 10 years? LEL? PBP?

There are lots of female riders in Audax and most of the men are very accepting unlike other niches within the cycling realm. Check out Katie Kookaburra on YouTube. She built up from nothing and now does some big rides. Andy Curran and Adam Watkins also have good channels. And the legend Daniel Peacock.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've done the 300 a couple of times but I also did the 50 once, with my son - that was all the way back in 2007!

It was a lovely ride. He found it hard work (he was only 9 years old) but he really enjoyed the experience - everyone was very friendly and supportive (tell other riders it's your first time and they will give you plenty of guidance and may even ride with you). However, there's no point me commenting on the route since it has completely changed since then - ours had a halfway control point at the Woodchurch Rare Breeds Centre but it goes in completely the other direction now.

This is the current route for the 50: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26654678 - there are a couple of brief stretches on the A28 but otherwise it's all the lovely quiet back lanes. You could recreate that in Strava easily enough.

Note that the different rides have different start times, so you might not see riders on the longer distances at the start.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You'll be fine Charlotte. I've only done a couple (200s) , and had a good time despite acts of Garmin on both rides. I'd have done more but the dates & locations of the local(ish) ones never seem to work out for me.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well I have entered it now! Hehe - no turning back! It will definitely be a learning curve and hopefully with these new intervals I am doing on the bike, my pace should pick up quite nicely! so I should be able to attempt a 100km soon! I mean I can cycle that distance anyway, but never within a time perimeter necessarily.

alicat

Legendary Member
Oh sod it, I will just sign up and have a go...

That's the spirit. They are very friendly events, although not usually with many younger riders. Someone is bound to tuck you under their wing, unless you are off the front.

I did a lot of audaxes and found the easiest way was to follow the paper route. I rigged up an impromptu route holder and followed that. It would be an idea to read through all the abbreviations and check they make sense before you set off. But then I don't have a dedicated GPS.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
That's the spirit. They are very friendly events, although not usually with many younger riders. Someone is bound to tuck you under their wing, unless you are off the front.

I did a lot of audaxes and found the easiest way was to follow the paper route. I rigged up an impromptu route holder and followed that. It would be an idea to read through all the abbreviations and check they make sense before you set off. But then I don't have a dedicated GPS.

That is true, I will have both as back up, they have published the routesheets so I can read through and match with my google maps. I have the GPS files also etc so I will attempt at syncing them this weekend.

Top Bottom