England : Kent Fairies Audax : 50km-300km 1st July - Should I be brave?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Haha! The 100km route does look lovely but I can always keep the 100km route and do it in my own time as all the routes are freely available. Then I will know how I am doing for time etc.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I think that is the generic information, considering on the same day they have 50,100,150,200,300? I believe....so I doubt I will have that many, maybe just the Main control at Headcorn

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think that is the generic information, considering on the same day they have 50,100,150,200,300? I believe....so I doubt I will have that many, maybe just the Main control at Headcorn

Nope, the different rides have different routs.
Looking at the routesheet Dogtrousers is correct. However they really are not as obscure as he is making them out to be.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

No, each ride has its own listing on the AUK website where @Dogtrousers got that info from, and that detail relates specifically to the 50. And looking at the route, I can see why it needs so many controls. It's one of the problems of rides in the southeast where you have so many roads criss-crossing all over the place that it's hard to make an attractive route without lots of controls (compare and contrast the ride I just did in Scotland that had one stage where you went 120km with no controls).

But it shouldn't be a problem - stopping to fill in the answers on your card will be a good excuse for a breather, something to drink and something to eat if you need it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
@smutchin - will you be there?!

Yeah, I'll probably do the 300, which means being on the road at 2am... not my favourite start time but I've done it a couple of times before and it's worth it because it's a lovely route, and not too hard.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Are you doing the Platinum thingy this year?

I am indeed. The 200 and 110 again, plus a new Century (160km/100 miles), which is essentially the 200 but cutting across from Robertsbridge to Rye rather than going to Hastings. The 110 route is revised a bit as well to make it less over distance.

200: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-304/
110: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-305/
160: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-335/

(A mere two controls and three infos on the 110! More than I'd like, but as noted earlier, hard to avoid it on the roads round here.)

Last edited:
My eldest did his first 50 (the Just A Chuffin' 50, one of the much-missed MarmiteGeoff's rides from the Pretty Pigs) at 8, and my youngest officially became an audaxer at 7 when he stoked the tandem round Linton Locks.

Brevet Populaires generally give you shedloads of time, assuming you ride faster than an 8yo on 24" wheels.

Routesheet in a poly bag and a couple of laggy bands to fasten it to your forearm is the classic Old Skool technique. A phone pic of any info control is a good tip to avoid faffing with pens.

Enjoy!

Redlight

The Fairies' rides are always well planned and well organised and have a reputation for very good catering! You'll love it and quickly start hankering to do a 100km...

Navigation - until GPS became commonplace, a lot of people used something like this https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessoriesmaps-navigation-holders/pletscher-map-holder/ - and many still do. The more expensive plastic route holders are also very good but not worth it if you're not sure that you're going to use it more than once. At the start there are usually polythene bags for brevet cards and you can nab another to put your route sheet in, just in case of rain.

One bit of advice: a day or two before, read the route sheet and track it with your finger on a map. That way, you'll have a mental image of where you are supposed to be going, which can be surprisingly helpful if you think you may have missed a turn or something just feels "wrong". Whatever you do, don't blindly follow the person in front, even if you know they are on the same route as you. I made that mistake on my first ever Audax and spent the rest of the persuading myself that I enjoyed climbing back up Charing Hill.

Depending on work and other commitments I may pop along for one of the rides so if I see you I'll say hello.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Top Bottom