England : Kent Fairies Audax : 50km-300km 1st July - Should I be brave?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
When I did the 50 with my son, we took nearly 4.5hrs, finishing just before 2.30pm, so the fastest riders on the 300 were back very soon after us. Since then, they've changed to standard BRM speeds for all distances (15-30kmh), so we'd be out of time if we took that long now.

Seems an odd decision, that. More generous time allowances will encourage people who are new to longer distances. BRM speeds might put some people off.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
When I did the 50 with my son, we took nearly 4.5hrs, finishing just before 2.30pm, so the fastest riders on the 300 were back very soon after us. Since then, they've changed to standard BRM speeds for all distances (15-30kmh), so we'd be out of time if we took that long now.

Seems an odd decision, that. More generous time allowances will encourage people who are new to longer distances. BRM speeds might put some people off.

Yeah the time limit for me will be a little tight, especially with checkpoints etc. I am at just under 12mph at present. But if I am with someone else and I know theres a limit, then it should be alright - I will be taking the Allez I think!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Quick back-of-fag-packet calculation...

If you can maintain an average 12mph (19kmh) riding speed for that distance, that will give you 40 minutes in hand - that gives you 20 minutes for a sit down with a cup of tea and slice of cake at the Headcorn control, and a spare 20 minutes in case you get a puncture...

Just don't spend too long faffing at the info controls and you'll be fine - familiarise yourself with the info control questions when you pick up the card at the start, make sure you keep your card and pen handy, not tucked away at the bottom of a saddlebag, and follow the route carefully so you don't have to spend long searching for them (just had a quick look at the routesheet, and all except one of the info controls are at junctions, so that should make life easier). Alternatively, use your phone to take a picture of the answer and write them in at the finish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Alternatively, use your phone to take a picture of the answer and write them in at the finish.

Yes, I think this will be best, and if there are two of us, it should be easier to find the answers etc. The routesheet is going to be sent out soon so we can work it out better. x

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The routesheet is already available from the Fairies website - although it might be best to wait for the confirmed final version to be sent out, just in case of last minute changes.

Anyway, you'll be fine, I'm sure. It's a nice gentle route, should be lots of fun.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Wow that is odd. My 100km has a lower limit of 10km/h to enable riders to enjoy the audax format without being pressured for time. It allows parents to bring their children along and have a fine relaxing day out.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Quick back-of-fag-packet calculation...

If you can maintain an average 12mph (19kmh) riding speed for that distance, that will give you 40 minutes in hand - that gives you 20 minutes for a sit down with a cup of tea and slice of cake at the Headcorn control, and a spare 20 minutes in case you get a puncture...

Just don't spend too long faffing at the info controls and you'll be fine - familiarise yourself with the info control questions when you pick up the card at the start, make sure you keep your card and pen handy, not tucked away at the bottom of a saddlebag, and follow the route carefully so you don't have to spend long searching for them (just had a quick look at the routesheet, and all except one of the info controls are at junctions, so that should make life easier). Alternatively, use your phone to take a picture of the answer and write them in at the finish.
Blimey. I'm pleased if my moving average tops 20kph these days. I may well end up with a DNF on this one if I don't hammer it a little on the Marsh. But that's what the Marsh is for.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I see that 100km is going off at 9am and 50km is off at 10am. I want to try and get there early so I can see @ianrauk and the others! It is not far to get to Bethersden Hall from my place. I want to get there around 8:30am @User21629 - you don't have to get there that early as I know you like your lie-ins :becool::laugh:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Don't worry. I too am pleased when my moving average tops 20kmh, and I've done quite a few Audaxes, up to 400k, without any real fear of being timed out. OK, I may have diced with it once on a particularly hilly 100k. And anyway, unless you are an AUK member keenly gathering Audax points, it doesn't matter as long as you have a good ride.
By a bizarre twist of fate I am, or appear to be, two AUK members. If I wanted to gather points they'd only get assigned to whichever ID wasn't doing the ride. Long story involving helpful volunteer types so I will not moan.

Top Bottom