England : Kent Fairies Audax : 50km-300km 1st July - Should I be brave?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I did the 100k Audax route today (to check if it's suitable for my partner - it is).
You're in for a treat if you have entered. It's a cracking route and i'm looking forward to doing it again with a few others on the day.
The Marsh has to be the most beginner- and cycle-friendly places I've ever ridden. Loads of lanes to keep you off the few main roads, and very motor little traffic strays from those main routes. Swoopy bends. Big skies. Reasonable road surfaces. Decent sprinkling of cafes and pubs. Pan cake flat. My only beef is that there are a couple of stretches out in the middle where the "road" as marked on the map doesn't have any tarmac!

Moral: check the OS map in detail before you lob your ridewithgps route onto your GPS.

upload_2018-6-18_10-14-31.jpg

May 2018 somewhere on the Marsh.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Marsh has to be the most beginner- and cycle-friendly places I've ever ridden. Loads of lanes to keep you off the few main roads, and very motor little traffic strays from those main routes. Swoopy bends. Big skies. Reasonable road surfaces. Decent sprinkling of cafes and pubs. Pan cake flat. My only beef is that there are a couple of stretches out in the middle where the "road" as marked on the map doesn't have any tarmac!

Moral: check the OS map in detail before you lob your ridewithgps route onto your GPS.

View attachment 414873

May 2018 somewhere on the Marsh.
That roads not on the route Greg. The only non tarmacced section is the 2 mikes alongside the military canal which is compacted chalk.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I often use that section along the canal on the run in to Hythe (access via the bridge over the canal from Burmarsh Rd, shortly before you hit the A259). The surface is a bit rough in places but it's fine really.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That roads not on the route Greg. The only non tarmacced section is the 2 mikes alongside the military canal which is compacted chalk.
That road should not be on anyone's route just round the corner was a series of get off any walk craters!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If you do the 200 or 300 you get to sample my home made cakes at Golden Green. This is a very well organised event and a great intro to Audax.
You've got me looking at routes there now....it's only 88 miles from here!
(Unfortunately Southern Fail are, of course, having engineering work- it's a Sunday, they can't run trains, which nicely screws up all return travel...)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you do the 200 or 300 you get to sample my home made cakes at Golden Green. This is a very well organised event and a great intro to Audax.
I meant to ask... How did yours go? (the one I had to miss because of the surprise trip to HQ for the Premiership Final - I'd rather have ridden an Audax that watch that game)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You've got me looking at routes there now....it's only 88 miles from here!
(Unfortunately Southern Fail are, of course, having engineering work- it's a Sunday, they can't run trains, which nicely screws up all return travel...)
I'll have a car with me. Dunno what time you long-legged "it's only 88 miles to the start" types would finish mind on the 200/300. That could get you back as far as Horsham on the Arun Valley line - haven't looked at the engineering works.

Trickedem

Guru
I meant to ask... How did yours go? (the one I had to miss because of the surprise trip to HQ for the Premiership Final - I'd rather have ridden an Audax that watch that game)
Very good. Over 60 riders on the road. Weather was fab and lots of great comments about the route and catering. Thanks also to @rb58 and @ianrauk who assisted with controls in the day.
I will be repeating it next year.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Temperature on Sunday will be SCORCHIO!
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.27;0.44;8&l=temperature-2m&t=20180701/12

Don't forget your suncream, folks. And use your largest water bottles.

It was similar conditions last time I did the 300 all those years ago. I remember leaving the hall at 2am and very quickly deciding I really didn't need my arm and leg warmers. Here's a pic of me having a little lie down at Dungeness:
pic1422077.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Oh good lord! Haha!! Yes, I shall be prepared with 50 SPF suncream.

I am prepping the bike this afternoon as a few things need doing. I am going to attach an extra bottle cage to my bike - even though its not the same colour. It doesn't matter just for tomorrow.

Top Bottom