Farmers about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Try asking dog walkers and punctured cyclist if it makes them smile

I thought the "punctured cyclist" bit had already been covered by @classic33 elsewhere in this thread?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/farmers-about.281100/page-3#post-6581538

freiston

Veteran
Try asking dog walkers and punctured cyclist if it makes them smile
At least one "punctured cyclist" [sic] has replied to your OP - me. Hedgerows (with or without a smattering of hedge-cutting debris on the lanes) make me smile just about every time I get out on the bike, including the time I got that puncture. Punctures are a fact of life for cyclists that ride on pneumatic tyres but modern tyre technology means that it is easily achievable for most rides to be puncture-free.

Like I said before, of all the ways us humans can mess up this planet, a few thorns on a road isn't one that I have an issue with: it is a non-issue for me whether I get a puncture as a result or not. I find it ludicrous that anyone would expect the thousands of miles of hedgerow-sided roads to be expunged of all hedgerow derived debris. What I've seen on the roads wouldn't be much improved on even with a manual sweep with a yard brush (and would result in several more tons of loose gravel and silt than thorns) - it really is a non-issue.

Keeping it "on theme", so to speak, things on roads/cyclepaths that do bother me are, in no particular order (and by no means an exhaustive list), fly-tipping, broken bottles (I'm thinking urban cycle paths), general littering (especially gas canisters and fast food/wrappings), debris from motor vehicles. As well as the odd thorn, the odd incidental dollop of horse muck on the roads doesn't bother me either. Dog crap does though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's the thought of lots of farmers sweeping country lanes that makes me smile, I wonder how many miles of road that would need sweeping , a person who has been punctured is unlikely to make me smile.
"If seven maids with seven mops
Swept it for half a year,
Do you suppose," the Walrus said,
"That they could get it clear?"
"I doubt it," said the Carpenter,
And shed a bitter tear.

CXRAndy

Guru
Err, I quite happily clear up after my mechanic, as I know he's busy, he needs to get onto the next urgent fixing job, and it helps keep my costs down, if I do the tidying up..

(I do my own servicing for reasons of economy too)

Any other industry wouldn't be expected to carry on at such low, or in some years, no margin.

Whilst feeding the population.

Whilst maintaining a landscape in which we as cyclists enjoy riding our bicycles.

I certainly don't take this attitude, but for many years farmers saw hedgerows as nothing but liability.

In the past, thousands of miles of hedgerows were grubbed up for the sake of 'efficiency' to accommodate bigger machinery, and save maintenance work, with resulting damage to landscape and ecology.

This approach was encouraged by advisors, who were all about business, and productivity at any cost to the environment.

Thankfully nowadays, most people see the multiple values of hedgerows, and understand there are going to be some trade offs .

Such as a few clippings on the road.

Our small holding will be replanted with hedgerows, trees and lovely flowery things. Thankfully, non are directly roadside, those that are, are set back.

I think this one went straight in at silly.
Didn't someone say that on Page1?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've taken the liberty of adding some punctuation to your post, and forming it into things called sentences.
Anyway, this farmer wouldn't make much money from sheep subsidy, given that he only had one!

There's no such thing as 'sheep subsidy' anyway.

Headage payments per ewe, were phased out a long time ago, to reduce stocking densities in the uplands.

Our small holding will be replanted with hedgerows, trees and lovely flowery things. Thankfully, non are directly roadside, those that are, are set back.

Nice :smile:
hopefully with a bit of food production alongside too.?

I'm almost thinking I might be due to take a few flights, to offset the hundreds of trees planted at the farm over the years .

That's how it works right ?:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom