Farmers about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you live in a town you won't get it's in rural area problem
Thank you Einstein.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I know farmers it's you that's wrong again.

I am that strange hybrid of a cyclist and a farmer..

Who knew such a species existed huh.??
And you can't generalise about us being greedy, neglectful etc etc any more than any other professional.

Farm incomes are precarious enough without expecting farmers to go out and sweep the roads too.

We are obliged to keep roadside hedges trimmed for visibility, and general safety of road users, that is done at our expense.
Whether by ourselves or a contractor.

So we are also expected to to be sweep the road too.?.

I look forward to the day when UK food consumers are willing to pay a proper price for food to support these activities.

To be paid to properly lay the hedges for wildlife and landscape value would (of course) be even better 👍🏼

While yr about it howsabout lobby the supermarkets, so as not to be so greedy so we can make the living wage from our activities.

Thanks very much for your support !!

P.s. I no longer get punctures as I now run tubeless, yes I used to get them a fair amount, it's a bit annoying yes..

But hey, It's nice to have the freedoms and time to cycle in a rural area isn't it.??

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't see what there is to get upset about. All my riding is rural, I have decent tyres, correctly inflated and on the odd occassion we encounter a recently trimmed hedge someone shouts "out" and we all move towards the centre of the road.

I've picked up the odd thorn over the years but nothing to moan or rant about. I did help a friend dig 5-6 bits of glass out of a tyre last week.

Can we ban glass along with the farmers?

Alex321

Veteran
I can't see what there is to get upset about. All my riding is rural, I have decent tyres, correctly inflated and on the odd occassion we encounter a recently trimmed hedge someone shouts "out" and we all move towards the centre of the road.

You obviously ride reasonably wide rural roads then :smile:

Round here, the roads I ride on, the debris is often spread across the whole road, which is often not wide enough for two cars to pass without one pulling in to a gate or passing place.

But it is mostly clear now, the main spate of hedge trimming here was a few weeks ago. I got one puncture from it, which was the final straw prompting me to switch to tubeless.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You obviously ride reasonably wide rural roads then :smile:

Round here, the roads I ride on, the debris is often spread across the whole road, which is often not wide enough for two cars to pass without one pulling in to a gate or passing place.

But it is mostly clear now, the main spate of hedge trimming here was a few weeks ago. I got one puncture from it, which was the final straw prompting me to switch to tubeless.
Well some are wide but many are narrow as you describe. I can only once recall debris across the whole road when there was one tractor cutting in the direction we were riding and another coming towards us!!! That was fun but we survived.

We both know rural roads of all sizes get covered in all sorts of rubbish. Not much to get upset about compared with the joys of rural life and cycling.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I am that strange hybrid of a cyclist and a farmer..

Who knew such a species existed huh.??
And you can't generalise about us being greedy, neglectful etc etc any more than any other professional.

Farm incomes are precarious enough without expecting farmers to go out and sweep the roads too.

We are obliged to keep roadside hedges trimmed for visibility, and general safety of road users, that is done at our expense.
Whether by ourselves or a contractor.

So we are also expected to to be sweep the road too.?.

I look forward to the day when UK food consumers are willing to pay a proper price for food to support these activities.

To be paid to properly lay the hedges for wildlife and landscape value would (of course) be even better 👍🏼

While yr about it howsabout lobby the supermarkets, so as not to be so greedy so we can make the living wage from our activities.

Thanks very much for your support !!

P.s. I no longer get punctures as I now run tubeless, yes I used to get them a fair amount, it's a bit annoying yes..

But hey, It's nice to have the freedoms and time to cycle in a rural area isn't it.??
Proper food prices! How much greedier can you be!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom