Fast food, becoming a ripoff ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm, for £9.95 at a normal McDonald's in the UK, you could get:

1 Sausage + Egg McMuffin
1 Bacon + Egg McMuffin
4 hash browns
2 Coffees
1 Ice cream cone (well, there was 79p left in the budget!)

How hungry were you, @gbb ? ^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
Agreed. And street food doesn't always mean fast food.

Or good food.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Hmm, for £9.95 at a normal McDonald's in the UK, you could get:

1 Sausage + Egg McMuffin
1 Bacon + Egg McMuffin
4 hash browns
2 Coffees
1 Ice cream cone (well, there was 79p left in the budget!)

How hungry were you, @gbb ? ^_^
I'm beginning to wonder if we were mis charged ?

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe another way to look at things is are business overheads a rip off. I know in the car body repair industry the larger groups were only making half of one percent of turnover for a good few years. Basically, turnover £1,000 to make a fiver a good reason why do many have gone skint I guess.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
McD's and cycling are not good bed fellows there is nothing they sell that is good for a healthy lifestyle, maybe bottled water but even then i'd be suspect
But its good for washing, getting warm, loads of coffee, charging electrical kit and toilets. If you are touring or ultra racing there is also that satisfying feeling of familiararity and normality, regardless of where you are in the world.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just looked at rentals in Lincoln, a shop that is nowhere near large enought for a MacD is £147,000pa rent, that is before rateswhich I guess will be above £30,000 at the moment it is an Ann Summer shop. No wonder the high street is failing.

McD's and cycling are not good bed fellows there is nothing they sell that is good for a healthy lifestyle, maybe bottled water but even then i'd be suspect
yep - the fondness of some cyclists for them puzzles me. I don't think one of their rubbery bunned burgers would power me over many miles. Am even more amazed in the current hell at seeing folks standing in long queues to get into one. So they are not even fastfood.

McFlurries and milkshakes good on long rides.
I'd rather go in a spoons - have got me through some long rides - longest about 16 hours I think. Nice memories of a couple of strong porters and a reduced price mixed grill in a Bury one before pressing on for more hills.

Iceland are doing a 12oz Big Daddy sirloin steak for £5.
The rest is a relatively small amount, £2 for 2 stir fry packs, £1 for the sauce, pennies for the egg noodles.
Fine value for good food.
seems to me you are still into instant kit food.
Stir Fry packs?
What's wrong with slicing a few vegetables?
Stock up, keep them in a cold fridge.
I get lots of my veg in south london street markets - if it's going into stir fries it doesn't need to look perfect.

I expect a McDonald’s burger is of far higher quality meat than the ingredients comprising a cheap breakfast at Wetherspoons
based on what evidence?
Exactly?
I also fail to see why anyone would go sit in a plastic macdonalds for a bouncy burger in an atmosphere that is calculated to get you out as soon as possible if you have a nearby alternative where you can have a burger with a nice pint. (And another if so inclined). And you are trusted with real plates and cutlery.
The mixed grill by the way was excellent.
I acknowledge that if you eat one of those rather than one of maccyDs squishy things you do need teeth - preferably your own.

Well as I am degree level educated (Biochemistry) and with 30 years in the food industry I know pretty much what goes into quite a lot of it.

And yes I still eat it. And yes I get pissed at people constantly calling it crap from a position of little knowledge.
Is it perfect? No, but nothing is, but if knew the truth you’d be amazed how good it really is.....
Can you pass on the secret of their unique variation on the concept of bread?

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Or good food.
No, you are absolutely right
However, there is a 100% indicator which will tell you if it is good
If you a queue in front of the place it will be good
Good fast food often is slow - I mean may take 30 seconds or a minute to serve (pho, laksa, taco) but a prep will take often hours - cant make a decent stock or roast a pig in less than 5h.
Skilled wok operator can make you a world class, Michelin stared meal in less than 2 minutes (I doubt there is a McD that can beat that) so fast food can be FAST and can be a good food.
Here is a photo of a fast food place with top food (incidentally, a victim of its own success)
IMG_20181109_192055_HHT.jpg

I agree with Fab foodie - McD will not kill you, it is a tasty thing from time to time (many top chefs love their favourite chains - people whose livelihoods depend on taste), nor it will make you fat - calories in, calories out.

Top Bottom