Fastest you've been on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You don't understand mean/poor - I was inspired by the Cats Ears but trying to save money! :laugh:

It is okay trying to look like Sir Brad, but I will need to find 'Salt and pepper' coloured faux fur to match my bonce.
I think a bottle brush from your local kitchen equipment store should do the job.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've always wanted to break 50 mph on a local steep hill but the surface is like cratered regolith and there's a sharp bend that always has me grabbing onto the brakes. 47 is my best yet.

Drill into the top 10 times on the Strava leaderboard and there are some awesome peak speeds, well over 50 mph. Some of these look like GPS anomalies, but there's clearly a load of nutters on this hill.

bladderhead

45 mph. Downhill, tailwind and pedalling. I have COPD so I run out of breath even on that descent. Coasting all the way, I would probably get to 30 mph.

Climbing it takes several days.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I clocked 41mph on a flat road during a time trial on the E2 near Cambridge in the early nineties. There was a howling tail wind and I can remember the surprised look on a learner drivers face as I overtook her and left her for dead. That was competition record speed, unfortunately ruined by the fact that the leg out to the turn was into the same wind and parts of the course were reduced to little over walking speed.

freiston

Veteran
Back in the early eighties, a friend pulled alongside me on his motorbike and his speedo said about 55mph (on the flat in Lincolnshire). In the nineties, I managed over 40mph downhill a few times (Cateye computer) but now I usually take the opportunity going down hill to stop pedalling and I rarely go over 35 if I do push it. I'm much happier taking it slow nowadays and I can't maintain the effort like I used to.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
55 dropping off the Snake toward Glossop. Looked at the road instead after that.
Ever since I had a massive speed wobble and almost totalled it I've been a bit more reticent down that one

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've been just short of 50mph a couple of times - first descending into Malton and second riding down Farnley Park (the opposite side of the Wharfe Valley to Otley Chevin),
On neither occasion was I looking at the Garmin to check the speed at the time :hyper:but I wasn't quite spinning out (52/11) so I reckon 50mph+ is definitely possible.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The fastest I've ever been is about the same speed as Bradley Wiggins averages in a time trial. I was going down Broomfield Hill in Richmond Park at 34mph, scared to death by the appalling road surface and the bends.

Bonus

Veteran
often did 87kmp/h down a lovely open bit of road in South Africa. Could have gone faster with better gearing - I was spinning like a crazy-man.

Trouble is, you go that fast, then you glance down at that skinny tyre and remember you're wearing paper thin clothes . . . .

Top Bottom