Fastest you've been on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I checked the maximum speed on it today's ride... It was a bit lower than usual because of a cross-headwind on the fastest part of the descent. I have to freewheel on it because I don't have a high enough gear/cadence to use pedal power.

This is the descent - Blackstone Edge to Littleborough:

View attachment 470303
Speed:

View attachment 470304
71.6 km/hr = 44.5 mi/hr.

I have freewheeled to 88 km/hr (55 mi/hr) on that descent in the past with more favourable wind conditions. I often catch cars down there but never overtake them - just too risky! Apart from slightly unpredictable drivers, there are often VERY unpredictable sheep at the roadside.
The bottom left-hander can be the worst part on there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The bottom left-hander can be the worst part on there.
Yes, you could easily drift out on that.

The nightmare scenario would be to have someone come round the bend on the wrong side of the road - I've had drivers do that to me in the past on other bends! :eek:

I think the fastest i have been downhill is 45 mph.It didn't seem scary at the time until i got home and thought to myself if a vehicle had pulled out in front of me i would have been toast.
You have only got to think of what has happened to chris froome to know that it's not going to work out good.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the fastest i have been downhill is 45 mph.It didn't seem scary at the time until i got home and thought to myself if a vehicle had pulled out in front of me i would have been toast.
You have only got to think of what has happened to chris froome to know that it's not going to work out good.
It is certainly a stark reminder to avoid risks like taking hands off the bars at speed!

A friend of mine rode down a Spanish mountain while putting on his windtop. It made me shudder, especially when one sleeve almost got tangled in the back wheel ...

I live near the mountains so a fast time for me would be 31 MPH average over an 8 mile descent.

On a short 1 mile hill, Gina and I hit 56 MPH on the tandem, without pedaling!:eek: We didn't want to go that fast but the tandem took us there. Rock solid but too fast so we avoid that course. Bike rock solid but glasses and helmet shaking like a muthah!

On a single bike, 42 MPH. I did some long mountain rides that had long descents on mountain roads. Can't help but go fast on a 30 mile descent! :becool:

TheBear_zpsfee335ef.jpg

Kajjal

Guru
On road about 50mph but not something I look to do as it is too dangerous with UK roads as they are currently.

Many years ago Off road by accident I once hit 46mph on a fire road. When it got a lot rougher due to logging lorries rutting the fire road up and then a sharpish corner appeared I was clinging on for my life.

Slick

Guru
I live near the mountains so a fast time for me would be 31 MPH average over an 8 mile descent.

On a short 1 mile hill, Gina and I hit 56 MPH on the tandem, without pedaling!:eek: We didn't want to go that fast but the tandem took us there. Rock solid but too fast so we avoid that course. Bike rock solid but glasses and helmet shaking like a muthah!

On a single bike, 42 MPH. I did some long mountain rides that had long descents on mountain roads. Can't help but go fast on a 30 mile descent! :becool:

View attachment 470964
56 mph on a tandem. :eek: I can't help but picture Mrs Beanz giving you what for at the bottom. ^_^

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
34mph downhill at Old Newton past the church. I could go faster but value my life too much ( just too scared ! ). I always think " what if a rabbit or pheasant were to come out of the hedgerow ?". It has happened and I have been lucky. Even so at 34 a rabbit could take me out. When I was younger I never even thought about it. Older and wiser perhaps ? or just Mr Cautious ?

Proto

Legendary Member
It does seem to be a very male preoccupation... I don't think there has been a single post from a female CycleChatter in 6.5 pages! :whistle:

Not sure if this counts, from a post of mine a page back. Daughter not on Cyclechat but it’s verified on Strava. I’ll find a link if you’re desperate.

“Daughter managed 59.6 mph somewhere near the Italian/Swiss/Austrian border. Rode up Stelvio and down into Austria. Bit of a nutter, no idea where she gets it from“

Slick

Guru
Not sure if this counts, from a post of mine a page back. Daughter not on Cyclechat but it’s verified on Strava. I’ll find a link if you’re desperate.

“Daughter managed 59.6 mph somewhere near the Italian/Swiss/Austrian border. Rode up Stelvio and down into Austria. Bit of a nutter, no idea where she gets it from“
It counts. :thumbsup:

Proto

Legendary Member
When I was younger I never even thought about it. Older and wiser perhaps ? or just Mr Cautious ?

The human Fear Gland doesn’t fully develop until the age of ~30+. Sometimes later and in rare cases it doesn’t develop at all (e.g. TT and Irish Road Racers).

PS here’s daughter’s ride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/352644402
She’s possibly gone faster in races but doesn’t put many of her rides up, so unconfirmed.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
The human Fear Gland doesn’t fully develop until the age of ~30+. Sometimes later and in rare cases it doesn’t develop at all (e.g. TT and Irish Road Racers).

That's interesting. With me seems to have been the other way. I was always quite scared of speed when younger, but not so much now I'm 47.

The problem I have now is that I can't be fast going uphill, though.

My downhill speeds are roughly starting from 20 mph on a 2% down, if I double the gradient then I add roughly 10 mph to my speed.
How accurate that is depends on how much of head/tail wind I have on the day.
So around 16% down, it possible for me to top 50 mph and at that speed I stop pedalling.
But none of my local hill are steep/long enough for me to spin out on.
I have reached 55 mph a couple of times now.
But I much prefer pedalling slowly in top gear down the long alpine type descents at around 40 mph.

Top Bottom