Fasting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
How are you guys doing post xmas :hungry:
I had a week off Christmas week as I was staying with family and it would have been rude to refuse the lovely food they had prepared for us.
I'm back on my two fast days a week again and already losing the beer and chocolate induce weight gain:shy:
Are you guys still 'on the wagon'?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm just joining it as of tomorrow (New Years resolution but waited till I was back at work). I'm used to fasting a couple days a year for other reasons, so the fast itself doesn't worry me, but it will be interesting to see how it affects me longer term.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm just joining it as of tomorrow (New Years resolution but waited till I was back at work). I'm used to fasting a couple days a year for other reasons, so the fast itself doesn't worry me, but it will be interesting to see how it affects me longer term.
Nice one!
I've been doing it for the last 18 months with the odd week off (summer hols and xmas) with no effects other than keeping skinny!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
An old mate of mine has just started 5:2, and my sister is impressed with what I achieved last year (and worried that at 5 inches shorter than me, she now weighs almost the same as me!) so she started today. 3 or 4 other women in her office asked what she was doing and now they have started too, and are forming an office support group. :bravo:

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Started again yesterday. I noticed the too-much-coffee taste in the mouth again this morning. I wonder if that means it is working by making my metabolism shift over to burning ketones. I would be interested to have a blood test to see what my growth factor 1 hormone level is like, but is does not seem to be one of the normal tests. I lost a half to three-quarters of a stone last year, but the weight loss levelled off. I would have liked to have lost a stone. I read that there are new variations of the diet being studied in the US.

I saw a TED talk recently on YouTube in which the speaker set your brain was equipped with a sort of thermostat which regulated what weight it thought you should be. It is difficult, if not impossible, to reset your set point to a lower weight, but unfortunately the set point could increase. I am not entirely convinced about that. I have noticed that some people lose a lot of weight when they start training a lot.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I lost a half to three-quarters of a stone last year, but the weight loss levelled off. I would have liked to have lost a stone.
My weight loss stopped at 72kg's. It just wouldn't go lower, although I wasn't dieting on my non fast days, just eating normally. I probably could go lower, but I'm not sure it would be healthy!

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My weight loss stopped at 72kg's. It just wouldn't go lower, although I wasn't dieting on my non fast days, just eating normally. I probably could go lower, but I'm not sure it would be healthy!

Well, 72kgs seems a fairly healthy weight, unless you are only 5' tall. I get the impression that less is healthier until a) you starve to death, or b) you cannot get enough essential vitamins and minerals from your diet. Neither are probable in today's world, unless you are anorexic, or very elderly.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Are we remembering that the main purpose of the 5:2 'Fasting Diet' is not about weight loss ?

It is about longer-term health benefits; any weight loss is a by-product of eating less two days a week. It is NOT the main focus of the 5:2 'diet' - where 'diet' is using its original meaning ie what you eat ! :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Are we remembering that the main purpose of the 5:2 'Fasting Diet' is not about weight loss ?

It is about longer-term health benefits; any weight loss is a by-product of eating less two days a week. It is NOT the main focus of the 5:2 'diet' - where 'diet' is using its original meaning ie what you eat ! :thumbsup:
I am! People have asked if I am going to stop when I hit my target weight, which should be in the next few months. The answer is no, because I like the variety of having 2 days a week where I take it easy with food, and I want the health benefits suggested by research.

I am looking forward to either eating more on the 5 non-fasting days or reintroducing beer into my life!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.

Absolutely and it wasn't weight loss that promoted me to start the 5:2 thing - weight loss is a very good by product.

ColinJ

I am just finishing another fasting day. I am finding it slightly harder to motivate myself to stick to this now that I am no longer obese, but I know that I would probably slip back into my old lifestyle if I did not remain vigilant.

I am now down 4 stone and 5 pounds from my peak weight. I would still like to lose another couple of inches from my waist, which I guess would mean losing about another 7 pounds or so.

I mentioned my sister starting the 5:2 approach. The last time I saw her, she was looking noticeably slimmer and has lost well over a stone. It is working for her too.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
It's certainly become a popular way for people to lose weight.
It is hard to stay motivated when you have slimmed down. As you say Colin, it would be easy to let it all slip. It seems many opt to go 6:1 to maintain it. Might be worth a try. Those stubborn inches around the waist are going very slowly for me. I think for me it's a combination of cycling more and not eating so much rubbish. It's difficult though!

PK99

Legendary Member
It's certainly become a popular way for people to lose weight.
It is hard to stay motivated when you have slimmed down. As you say Colin, it would be easy to let it all slip. It seems many opt to go 6:1 to maintain it. Might be worth a try. Those stubborn inches around the waist are going very slowly for me. I think for me it's a combination of cycling more and not eating so much rubbish. It's difficult though!

6:1 is the recommended maintenance regime as per the bbc guy who popularised the diet

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have started following this. I was planning to fast today but a 25 mile bike ride got in the way so I'll fast tomorrow instead.
I tried it a few months ago and it was just horrible. I've been watching what I eat for a few weeks now so when I tried again it was much easier. Not sure about the weight side of things but I am definitely smaller. I am cycling more too so maybe weight is not shifting as I'm putting on some muscle and losing the lardy bits.

Top Bottom