Favourite commuting tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Why on earth is anyone bothered about speed when undertaking an activity as mundane as travelling to work?
Depends how long your commute is.I use heavy bombproof tyres for day to day stuff over short distances where reliability is the main requirement.The trade off is less enjoyable ride.

If commuting several miles I would use something reliable but not so heavy and slow that the enjoyment factor was spoiled.

Durano plus fits nicely into that category and last a long time making them economical as well.

The Vittoria's are the ultimate in bombproof but have one of the worst rolling resistance factors .

vickster

Legendary Member
My commute (more so home than to which I try to extend) gives me my daily exercise, so it needs to be effective and efficient (anything to avoid a gym).

I have 25mm Gatorskins on one bike used for commuting and on the other, 32mm Durano Raceguards. Think I've had one puncture thanks to a 1" screw through the latter

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Before i retired my commutte used to be three miles each way. But if it was a nice evening it could be up to 25 miles home. Loved the summer commuttes.

The home leg wasn't really a commute though, was it? That's like me going for a 20 mile ride via the pub and claiming that the primary purpose of the journey was to go for a beer. When you ride a bike for 25 miles on a trip that only needed to be 3 miles long, the primary purpose was just to go for a ride. The commute bit was almost incidental!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nope - sorry, but my commute is a direct 3 miles each way, but for a bit of fresh air, exercise & head clearing time it's generally a 25 mile round trip! Today was a 25 mile homeward leg because of the good weather. Am I supposed to do a 10 mile ride on one bike, go home swap to a specific commuter bike and then go to work, folowed by doing the reverse later in the day?

Also I don't have a specific commuter bike - they are ALL commuting bikes, shopping bikes and fun ride bikes so I have them fitted with the best all round tyres I can.

Top Bottom