Favourite old film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Third Man
Brief Encounter
a really ropey old War of the Worlds which is terrible, but has a special place in my heart
Loads more that I can't be arsed to name.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
My main favourites old & new are:-

Singin' in the Rain
Bladerunner
Belleville Rendez-Vous
Spirited Away
Alien Series
Flying Scotsman

Singin'in the rain - Hmmm not sure;

But the others, yes, all top drawer films - you have excellent taste :angry:

Andrew

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Once upon a Time in the West but maybe too new?

Anything with the delectable Audrey Hepburn in it. Roman Holiday

Kirstie's got good taste. Ice Cold in Alex is excellent. After spending a couple of day's cycling through the desert in Chile, the Mrs and I re-enacted the last scene in a tiny bar in a one horse town. There really was dew running off the glasses....

Creamcrackered said:
Kirstie's got good taste. Ice Cold in Alex is excellent. After spending a couple of day's cycling through the desert in Chile, the Mrs and I re-enacted the last scene in a tiny bar in a one horse town. There really was dew running off the glasses....

You cycled through the Atacama desert? Wow! I went there in the back of a jeep in 1998! Since then I've always wanted to ride through it (especially including the Bolivian bit where the salt lakes are).

NickM

Veteran
Half of these fims are nowhere near "old"! Or are you all 19?

I reckon the 1937 Frank Capra version of Lost Horizon takes some beating (and no, I didn't see it when it came out!).

And the 1973 remake (as a musical!) is reportedly a classic stinker :angry:

col

Legendary Member
NickM said:
I think McGoohan only did nutters!

And the prisoner.:angry:

striker

for me I rememeber as a child watching Basil Rathbone as Sherlock holmes In The Houndof the Baskerville.

True classic IMHO.

col

Legendary Member
striker said:
for me I rememeber as a child watching Basil Rathbone as Sherlock holmes In The Houndof the Baskerville.

True classic IMHO.

So did i,Might not have been the hound one,but was hooked on them all from that first film.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Singin' in the Rain
Brief Encounter
Top Hat

pretty much any classic Ealing comedy - Ladykillers, Pasport to Pimlico etc

and most up to date, The Italian Job. The proper one, of course, not the remake.

Arch said:
The Italian Job. The proper one, of course, not the remake.

'You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off'

My favourite film. Can't believe I forgot to mention it but I just don't think of it as 'old'. It is though...well, older than me anyway! I just love the cinematography. It's one of the nicest looking films I've ever seen.

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
Never seen the remake,unlikely too either,cant beat the origional.

I did see the remake, I managed to watch it in a completely detatched way, so it bore no resemblance to the original, and I simply regarded it as a rather dull heist movie, rather than actively hate it. Wouldn't bother to watch it again.

Top Bottom