Feet touching front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Toe overlap. Quite common. I have big feet, ride a fairly small frame for my height (long legs, short torso). Avoid turning at slow speeds and put your foot down at junctions. Or get a new bike ;)

How do you do that then? :smile:

I have this problem with my CAADX (seems more common with CX geometry?), particularly with a slow RH turn onto a cycle path on my commute to work route. I’ve cured the problem by cutting the toes off my left foot and wearing a size 8 shoe on that side, as opposed my my normal size 10.

Graham

vickster

Legendary Member

I have this problem with my CAADX (seems more common with CX geometry?), particularly with a slow RH turn onto a cycle path on my commute to work route. I’ve cured the problem by cutting the toes off my left foot and wearing a size 8 shoe on that side, as opposed my my normal size 10.

Graham
Get off the bike and walk round, unclip feet and scoot round, or unclip and move feet back?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The pedal on the outside of the turn, which is the one which will interfere on a tight turn, needs to be kept in the rearward arc.
If some pedal input is required in order to maintain control then the pedal on the inside of the turn can be "pumped", if that makes sense.

D

Deleted member 1258

The pedal on the outside of the turn, which is the one which will interfere on a tight turn, needs to be kept in the rearward arc.
If some pedal input is required in order to maintain control then the pedal on the inside of the turn can be "pumped", if that makes sense.

Except on a fixed.

jay clock

Massive member
bit worse on bikes with mudguards and also toeclips. Not an issue unless turning in the road at slow speed.

And stop the track stand bollox!

Graham
that's all very well and good, but what do you do when you come home the same way? ;)

that's all very well and good, but what do you do when you come home the same way? ;)

Sit facing backwards. Obviously. :okay:

Graham

It looks like its more common than I thought and not just a geometry flaw of a small Defy. Will just have to be more mindful of it at junctions so I don't end up on my arse.
It's a trend in bike design really, more compact frames with a shorter wheelbase, especially on racier bikes. It'll be worse obviously if you have mudguards fitted, have big feet/shoes or have replaced your original cranks with longer ones.

Also bear in mind that while the Giant Defy is available in 5 different frame sizes, there are only 3 different crank lengths fitted to those frames so there is a bit of a compromise/crossover in sizing there.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's only a problem at very low speeds when you forget about it. When you are riding at any speed above a few mph you don't actually turn the wheel very much at all. If you turn the wheel that much at higher speeds you will be having a crash anyway regardless of whether your toes touch the wheel.

Much more important to get your cleats in the correct position otherwise you can injure yourself through improper riding position. When you are riding you should feel like the power is going through the ball of your foot, not your toes or heel.

I have a bit of mudguard/toe overlap on one of my bikes and I can still trackstand on it if I am careful.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
If your shoes offer such adjustment, could you mitigate the risk of toe overlap by shifting your cleats forward as far as they will go?

I could but that would mess my position up for when on the MTB.

And stop the track stand bollox!

Its a useful skill for the odd occasion its needed

[QUOTE 5015569, member: 9609"]out of curiosity what is the closest your pedal gets to the front wheel ?

From the centre line of the pedal bearing to the tyre is 98mm on mine.[/QUOTE]

Not sure. Will have a look tonight.

Also bear in mind that while the Giant Defy is available in 5 different frame sizes, there are only 3 different crank lengths fitted to those frames so there is a bit of a compromise/crossover in sizing there.

Much more important to get your cleats in the correct position otherwise you can injure yourself through improper riding position. When you are riding you should feel like the power is going through the ball of your foot, not your toes or heel.

I have a bit of mudguard/toe overlap on one of my bikes and I can still trackstand on it if I am careful.

The Defy feels odd as its got shorter cranks than my full suss which feels odd. Cleat position hasn't changed in the last 20+ years and is pretty much on the ball of my foot towards the rear of its adjustment.

@velovoice Had a quick glance at your blog. Nice collection of bikes you have there past and present

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Can we just clear one thing up?

Toe overlap is nothing to do with the frame being a compact or a small size, nor is it a problem for most people. It is a feature of race geometry frames and has been for more decades than most of us have been alive. It is something that one very quickly learns to live with and only causes issues during walking pace tight turns. If you do find it a worry the only answer is to buy a frame which is geared more to touring and has more relaxed angles.

Top Bottom