Feet touching front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
I noticed it happening once or twice when I got a CX . Never on my hybrid.
But now I'm aware it can happen , I seem to have made the necessary adjustments to my riding to avoid it.
No idea what I've done , but it's not happening any more.

tyred

Legendary Member
Can we just clear one thing up?

Toe overlap is nothing to do with the frame being a compact or a small size, nor is it a problem for most people. It is a feature of race geometry frames and has been for more decades than most of us have been alive. It is something that one very quickly learns to live with and only causes issues during walking pace tight turns. If you do find it a worry the only answer is to buy a frame which is geared more to touring and has more relaxed angles.

I agree, absolutely nothing to do with frame size. My Viscount is a massive 25" frame and still suffers slightly from toe overlap.

Ajax Bay

Guru
does anyone elses feet touch their front wheel when turning
There are British Standards for bicycle safety and for the bike (as opposed to lighting) it was BS6102/1
Trouble is that these BS (and the standards / ENs that replaced them when original withdrawn) cannot be accessed without payment. However there is a useful info work-around.

Cycling UK (was CTC) Standard for Hired & Used Cycles

"Since BS6102/1 applies only to brand-new, unused bicycles, there has long been a desire for some yardstick against which to asses the safety and roadworthiness of a bicycle that's already seen a bit of wear and tear. This desire for a kind of cycling MOT became a necessity in conjunction with the CTC Cycle Hire Code, so CTC [Chris Juden was author)] answered it with a specification, broadly based upon BS6102/1."

"5 Steering
"5.1 Free movement
"The steering shall be free to turn through at least 60° either side of straight-ahead. Slight
stiffness shall be accepted, provided that the steering is free enough for the weight of the
front fork and wheel etc. to turn it when the cycle is leaned at up to 45° to one side or the
other (wheels not touching the ground).
"As the steering is turned and as the cycle is pedalled it shall not be possible for the toe of a
rider’s shoe, when 110mm in front of the centre of either pedal, to touch the front wheel or
mudguard."

My size 9½ shoes extend 108mm in front of the pedal spindle (NB I have the SPD-R cleats set back as far as they will go). My crank length is 170mm. My mudguards, over 28-622 tyres, extend 353mm from the front wheel axle and the clearance is dead on 108mm. My mudguard, when the wheel is turned, may brush the toe of my shoe (but I always assume it will). The bike frame(57/58) has a wheelbase of 1018mm and BB to front axle is 610mm.
absolutely nothing to do with frame size. My Viscount is a massive 25" frame and still suffers slightly from toe overlap.
I must admit I'm surprised that that size frame hasn't got a longer wheelbase. Have you got 'massive' feet as well?

screenman

Legendary Member
I think you would not want to turn your bars enough to catch your feet at any reasonable speed, you would likely be on the floor before your toes touched the tyre.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Very unlikely at speed. Most steering is done by leaning and only turning the bars slightly
When you are riding at any speed above a few mph you don't actually turn the wheel very much at all. If you turn the wheel that much at higher speeds you will be having a crash anyway regardless of whether your toes touch the wheel.
I think you would not want to turn your bars enough to catch your feet at any reasonable speed, you would likely be on the floor before your toes touched the tyre.
TMN Award to @Salty seadog and to @ManiaMuse

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's the 'slo-mo' topple that's embarrassing though, not to mention the chance of snapping a collarbone as you land like a 'Sack of Spuds'

Dave7

Legendary Member
Happened to me in a serious way.....but I got away with it.
Turning onto my drive...right toeclip locked on tyre. Bike stopped dead but I carried on and on and on.....over the fence.
Ended up with me in the garden but my feet still in the clips and my bike on the other side.
Fortunately no one saw me :smile:

Happened to me in a serious way.....but I got away with it.
Turning onto my drive...right toeclip locked on tyre. Bike stopped dead but I carried on and on and on.....over the fence.
Ended up with me in the garden but my feet still in the clips and my bike on the other side.
Fortunately no one saw me :smile:
:laugh: lucky escape that - could've been really embarrassing!

Top Bottom