Feet touching front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

Lonestar

Veteran
Toe overlap, I'm a short arse I have it on all my bikes and always have had. Its a minor nuisance on the fixed when maneuvering at low speed, and its had me on the floor once when maneuvering the geared bike at low speed, touched the mudguard with my foot and it rolled up under the fork crown.

Except the Brompton none of my bikes have a front mudguard.

Slick

Guru
It does on one of my bikes and it did kinda catch me by surprise at first, but now I just ignore it. I think the bike is a bit small for me but I find it's very comfortable on the drops where my bigger bike has no toe overlap but feels just a bit stretched on the drops. I'm sure I could fix it with a shorter stem but we'll probably need to live with the wheel catching the toe every now and again.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Happens on my road bike. Need to be very careful when using raceblades because the foot hits the raceblades which jams against the tyre. I've learned when this happens to just apply a bunch of power to allow the tyre to start spinng again, this avoiding a fall.

boydj

Legendary Member
Common problem on small frames. Easy to manage on a bike with a freewheel - just a bit of forward and back on the pedals to keep the offending foot out of the way when doing slow speed sharp turns. More of a problem on a fixie, though.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Are you using mtb shoes & cleats?
I get it with them on a road bike.
I use spd-sl cleats with a road shoe now which seems to solve it , mtb shoes seem to put you foot a bit nearer to the wheel.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Are you using mtb shoes & cleats?
I get it with them on a road bike.
I use spd-sl cleats with a road shoe now which seems to solve it , mtb shoes seem to put you foot a bit nearer to the wheel.

Not thought of that. Yes I'm using normal spds and mtb shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I get it on this one but it's an extremely short wheelbase frame,

DSCN0058.JPG

Top Bottom