Films which left you in tears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

The Bobet film - that would leave ANY guy in tears! :biggrin:

They made a film out of that !?

BigAndyH

Guru
Shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger, about the life of C S Lewis, got me going when we saw it at the cinema on first release.

I got the hanky out to wipe away the tears and restore my manly composure as the titles rolled, but needn't have worried, because as the lights came up you could see virtually everyone in the audience in floods of tears, and two women in the row in front were sobbing out loud. There was none of the usual rush for the exits as everyone was taking a few moments to pull themselves together before facing the world outside.

Seigi

The end of Gladiator has got me a few times. I think I cried at "A Millionaire's First Love" too, but can't remember.

Also cried to the end of Chobits, but that was more because of personal reason entwined with the series itself.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The end of Stand By Me, when the narrator reveals the fate of all the charaters and mourns the loss of his childhood.

Cosmicned

Gladiator - the bit where he discovers his Wife & Son brutally murdered... & the "I will have my vengeance..." bit... gets me every time...

And Bladerunner (good to see that film mentioned a lot...)

Schindler's List... (Couldn't get some of those scenes out of my head... can't watch it again...)

And (believe it or not) I admit to filling up a bit when Cadel Evans took the TDF trophy- having been proper engrossed in the action this year for the first time... Missus' took the pee out of me for that I can tell ya...:biggrin:

Genman

"Educating Rita" and "The Champ". I defy any Dad to watch the Champ and not cry. Either release, the John Voigt one or the 1931 original.

The end of Gladiator has got me a few times.

+1 and with this beautiful but haunting song -

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObGYFInWrU0&feature=related
tears in abundance.

VamP

Banned
And almost entirely unscripted and improvised... Rutger Hauer is a vastly underrated actor, who hasn't got the parts he deserves largely because of his somewhat intimidating looks.

Can I sign up for the Rutger Hauer appreciation club as well?

His early Dutch films directed by Paul Verhooven (Total Recall) are quality arthouse. Funny how both their careers derailled once Hollywood got involved.

Back to the Thread: The Bridges of Madison County - I wailed tears of desolate anguish, as Clint's character indicates his car is going to turn right, and Meryl's husband indicates he's turning left, and Meryl just sits there, unable to do what she longs with her very soul to do, as she cannot bear to hurt her husband and son.

Star Wars: Episode IV (the first one) where Obi Wan turns off his light sabre so Darth can kill him. I got to me deeply when I first saw it when I was 5 or 6 and that feeling has stayed with me ever since.

The end of Armageddon.

The end of The Crying Game.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Toy Story 3 got me at the furnace.

Philadelphia - obviously

And the one with Anthony Hopkins... about cancer - can't remember the name, but I was a mess..I've welled up writing this line. I said to my wife, never ever will I go see a film like this again, great film, but .. :eek:

Top Bottom