Films which left you in tears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Kramer V kramer - been there and seen the film :cry:

the concept of Kramer vs. Kramer vs. Godzilla had me in tears of laughter

Kramer Vs. Kramer Vs. Godzilla: Disastrous film directed by Marty DiBergi as the follow-up to "This is Spinal Tap." Marty: "It didn’t work out as well as I thought it would. I thought it would with the juxtaposition of which parent would get the child with Godzilla looming over all of them—y’know, maybe Godzilla was going to get the child."

Evil Rabbit

Lion King (Mufasa dying scene)

Sophies Choice

Schindler's List

Love Story

Battlefield Earth (but in tears of laughter at how bad and stupid a film could be!)

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My wife cried her eyes out at film that was made just for crying at
If this is your bag check out 'who will love my children'

woman with 10 young kids
husband crippled arthritic
woman finds she is dying of cancer with months to live
man takes to bottle and can't cope
woman has to find loving families for each of her 10 kids before she dies!

.. smallest boy is only one left near the end and doesn't want to be the only left on the bus (in reference to a game all the kids played earlier in the film) :cry:

blimey I'm almost in tears just reading that.

My mother used to watch these bog awful films about people dying (usually kids, from leukaemia) with suitably bog awful titles like 'Snowdrops in the spring' or 'dewdrops in the snow' or 'something else that doesn't last long'. I don't mind crying at films, but I don't go out of my way to find one.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Japanese animation "Grave of the fireflies" was the last one that had me going. An absolute mess I was and worse still I couldn't get the damn thing out of my mind for the next 3-4 days and some of the scenes do haunt me somewhat, especially when I learned it's semi-factual and was made as an apology to the directors own sister. It's oddly, possibly one of the most profound films about the human consequences of war and there aren't really many about the civilian victims. Those that are are often about coping in adversity and how they all pull together, well without giving too much away; they don't. Kelly's Heros it ain't.

There's something very jarring about anime, probably because the animated characters behave and react in a very human manner (which is often quite ugly) rather than comfortable Disney-like way in the Western world.

It's one of the most affecting films made about civilians in wartime full stop. Absolutely beautiful and devastating.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The beginning part of UP, Rutger Haur's scene in blade runner at the end, pure class gets me every time.

And almost entirely unscripted and improvised... Rutger Hauer is a vastly underrated actor, who hasn't got the parts he deserves largely because of his somewhat intimidating looks.

007fair

blimey I'm almost in tears just reading that.

My mother used to watch these bog awful films about people dying (usually kids, from leukaemia) with suitably bog awful titles like 'Snowdrops in the spring' or 'dewdrops in the snow' or 'something else that doesn't last long'. I don't mind crying at films, but I don't go out of my way to find one.

I know I usually run a mile too

Actually I looked 'Who will love My Children' up on Amazon and they still do a DVD 8 reviews and 5 stars for each one. Based on a true story ! :cry::cry:

I'll get it for the wife for her upcoming birthday !..

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Truly Madly Deeply is another one.

Sam

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Marley and Me
The Accused
The Colour Purple
My Girl :blush:
Philadelphia
My Sisters Keeper
Its a WOnderful Life
Last Snows of Spring/Last Feelings - double biller out the 70s I think

I'll stop now...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Can't say I ever blubbed at Roy passing on at the end of BladeRunner. I was too annoyed with him for killing Sebastian.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
First film I remember crying at was a BnW version of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. When he falls from the bell tower shouting "Why?" I burst into tears and ran to my room. I must have been about 10 at the time.

I cry at odd things. Some of the emotional Dr Who episodes have brought tears to my eyes, City of Angles did the same. I'll admit it I'm just weird!!!!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I cried watching Watership Down when I was about 12.

In two places, firstly when Art Garfunkle sang Bright Eyes and secondly when Hazel was finally taken away by the Black Rabbit.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Although I was unmoved, The Bridge To Terabithia sent Mrs and Miss Cisamcgu into floods, and I mean floods, of tears when they saw it. Also, I do agree that Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most heart-rending movies ever made.

Andrew

Top Bottom