Films you've switched off half way through or walked out of

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't think people big up a film because it's 'fashionable' ... i think they're most likely to big up a film because they like it.

They do overhype films when they come out, but anything still widely regarded as a masterpiece 30 years later likely does have real merit.

Same with most things. People still buy tickets for Montiverdi operas written 400 years ago. It's not because of fashion. I'd hazard a guess that few if any west end musicals will still be put on in another 400 years, but Montiverdi (as an example) will still be staged.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
They do overhype films when they come out, but anything still widely regarded as a masterpiece 30 years later likely does have real merit.

Same with most things. People still buy tickets for Montiverdi operas written 400 years ago. It's not because of fashion. I'd hazard a guess that few if any west end musicals will still be put on in another 400 years, but Montiverdi (as an example) will still be staged.

I'm confident the "Book of Mormon" will outlast any of that Montiverdi rubbish

He used the words "To me ...", so surely he can use any allegory he likes? If it really was an allegory that is.
Well, he can use a panda, if he likes, but if he wants people to communicate what he means, it's worth picking one the reflects his meaning. The emperor's new clothes is about people heaping praise on something that is completely hollow, empty and void. Oh, and the people who like it are easily lead idiots.

And saying "you're an idiot" is pretty much the same as saying "to me, you're an idiot".

I wasn't referring to the film, I referring to people's public perception of it
Ok, so you think it's ok.

To me, it's one of the great science films of the 80s. Which ones do you rank higher?

No allegory: Blade Runner is shite.

AndyRM

XOXO
PS I Love You got switched off after about 15 minutes on first viewing (I still don't know why I was persuaded to watch it in the first place, probably because of Gerard Butler).

We re-watched it relatively recently and it's now firmly in the "so bad it's good" category.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't think I walked out of Captain Corelli's Mandolin, but I should have done. It's execrable. And the book is so good....

Top Bottom