Finally!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've been after a vintage sewing machine for ages but couldn't afford a good one.
My own machine recently developed a fault and had to be left in for repairs leaving me without a machine.
A very nice person stepped in and offered me one for free. Came home with this last week...

PXL_20230320_154442919.jpg

She's a 1935 treadle powered Singer 66k.
Friggin gorgeous!
She need a teensy bit of restoration which I'm leaving till summer but otherwise she runs beautifully.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With a proper table, too! 😎

If you only want/need straight stitch, there's little if anything to beat a black cast-iron Singer. The 201k is said to be the best domestic straight-stitch machine ever manufactured.

My favourite machine was an 1895 hand-crank Singer 15K; I did lots of craft fairs in company with her, and never failed to have a fascinated audience who could hardly believe that a sewing machine could (a) operate without electricity and (b) still work perfectly after well over a century of use.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It is indeed working :smile:
I'm planning on using it when the need arises. Or when I fancy a change.

Originally the lady who passed it onto me said it was a 201k and then someone else checked the serial number to reveal it was in fact a 66k.
The 201k is indeed considered to be the finest sewing machine ever conceived. Rolls Royce used them to make their seats etc. Singer reven gifted one to I think princess Anne? As wedding present.
Bit of a disappointment to find out it wasn't but it's still a beautiful piece of machinery. And it was free!

Drago

Legendary Member
It's marvellous. I love to see old gear still working perfectly. Who'll be using a 2023 iPhone in a century's time?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My mum has a similar one (boxed, not on a table) that she keeps banging on about getting rid of, however I love it just for what it is - seems like a properly engineered piece of kit. Pity I can't drive it to save my life :tongue:

Top Bottom