First 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnym

I posted about a month ago at my delight of completing my first 50.

Having the week of work and the kids at school and a near perfect weather forecast I decided to attempt my first 100 which I completed but the old legs are suffering now.

I live in Whitley bay and had a great ride up the coast to seahouses and back, at about 80 miles I began to struggle but struggled through.

I just wanted to share this with you as I am sat with a beer in hand feeling quite smug :-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done Johnny......good work fella.. that beer is well deserved. :cheers:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Well done! A circular route as well; so no cheating and surfing on a tail wind for 100 miles and then taking the train home. Which is what I did on my first (and only) century :blush:.

rowdin

Terence david
Well done johnym, may i ask how much cycling you have done in the last month. Only i did my first 50 on saturday, and how i'm thinking about going up too the magic 100, but i don't think i could get that distance in the next 4 weeks.

Does the weight of the bike make much of a differnce over that distance because mine hits 16 kgs.

Also did you eat anything on your 50, 100, i did'nt eat on my 50,but will need too on longer distances?.

Camrider

If you got your 50 in without feeling totally spent the step up to 100 should not be too much of a problem, but I would get in a few more 50ish rides in first. You also need to eat, I would not ride 50 miles without taking in some nourishment.

I've recently stepped up from regularly riding 100k distances to a 200k (126 miles) with one 150k ride a week prior to the 200, so if an old man like me can do it I suspect you can too, but choose your first longer route carefully a figure of 8 or clover leaf route gives you the luxury of a bailout option or two so you don't have the fear of being stranded 100 miles from home with no energy left hanging over you.

As for the bike on long distances comfort is probably more important than weight. I ride a steel framed sports tourer which is similar weight to your bike, but it has proved supremely comfortable so I would not dream of swapping it out for a lighter bike unless it was just as comfy and could carrier a couple of panniers.

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Well done! A circular route as well; so no cheating and surfing on a tail wind for 100 miles and then taking the train home. Which is what I did on my first (and only) century :blush:.

Your right mate, I thought on the way up it was a bit too easy until I went round the roundabout at seahouses and headed back down, not a strong wind but enough to make it that bit tougher on way back :-(

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Well done johnym, may i ask how much cycling you have done in the last month. Only i did my first 50 on saturday, and how i'm thinking about going up too the magic 100, but i don't think i could get that distance in the next 4 weeks.

Does the weight of the bike make much of a differnce over that distance because mine hits 16 kgs.

Also did you eat anything on your 50, 100, i did'nt eat on my 50,but will need too on longer distances?.

I commute every weekday to work which is a 28 mile round trip. Days where I've finished early I've maybe pushed the home journey too 25-30 miles but not often.

As I said the last 20 were tough, don't know if it was psychological or not.

I ate cereal, toast and a banana about an hour before I left and took plenty of water, mars bar and a packet of sports mixtures, did the trick for me :-)

I've only been riding since start of February so can't comment on wait of bike, only use the one I have, in sure plenty of others on here can help you out tho.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Well done that man. Which route did you take, I'm guessing the Coast and Castles (National Route 1). If so, jammy barsteward, cos thats a lovely ride.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I often head up that way, take the bike up to Druridge Bay and pedal from there to Berwick and back. Stunning coast line.

Top Bottom