First accident last night, please tell me I am not the first to do this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluezelos

Whilst approaching a red light at a junction, tried to be cocky and approach very slowly it out of my saddle trying to balance anticipating the lights would change without me having to release my SPD cleats from the pedals, unfortunately this happened (apologies for the profanities).......

Started to topple over and forgot to turn my heels outwards and ended up in a hedge, lay on the floor with feet still attached to pedals, small tailback so must have be been quite amusing, took my feet out picked myself and cycled off, thankfully while the light was still on green.

Please tell me I'm not the only person to do this?

Brilliant, I laughed out loud. No, you're not the first, we've all had clipless moments. My last was approaching some temporary lights, I just put my head down as I rolled up and when I looked up, the damn thing was in front of me. I grabbed it as I went down and swivelled it 90 degrees. No witnesses fortunately, dented pride and scuffed bar tape.

D

Deleted member 26715

Been there done that, maybe there ought to be a T-shirt that says "I've been SPD'd" should be a good conversation starter

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It's called "Doing a Del Boy"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

I have still to see anyone do a more hilarious one - than a mate of mine who leaned on a collapsible bollard at a junction

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My best one was the day I picked up my new fixie in London. Had never ridden in London before and only once had a go on a fixie 20 years previously, so was a bit nervous and and very nearly fell of forgetting to pedal only 100 yards from the shop. Quickly got the hang of it and did the 15 miles or whatever to Ealing without incident.
Then my hubris and nemesis moment was being sufficiently confident to do a "track stand" at the traffic lights in Ealing. You can guess how that went

Globalti

Legendary Member
Whilst approaching a red light at a junction, tried to be cocky and approach very slowly it out of my saddle trying to balance anticipating the lights would change without me having to release my SPD cleats from the pedals, unfortunately this happened (apologies for the profanities)....... Started to topple over and forgot to turn my heels outwards and ended up in a hedge,......

Lightweight! You haven't joined the great pantheon of cyclists who've broken a collar bone yet!

Top Bottom