First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
To be fair to NASA - the space shuttle was designed what 40 plus years ago ?
Thunderbirds was nearly 60 years ago :biggrin:

Taken this long to perfect what a tiny British (animator) company did in their shed :laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Was in the Audi and Mercedes dealerships on Saturday and idly chatting with the sales person.

"EVs and PHEVs are gaining in popularity but they must have a long way to go before they outstrip convention fuel models"

"Not at all. We are currently getting more orders here for EV and PHEV"

CXRAndy

Guru
You sure about that?

New car registrations August 2021. Tesla isn't even in the top ten

https://www.whatcar.com/best/july-2021-new-car-sales-revealed-who-were-the-winners-and-losers/n17053

According to SMMT yes

20210913_204629.jpg

mikeIow

Guru
That says June.....

(I'm just going to drop this in, apologies for diving into a long-running thread.) Just got this email from our site landlords (large science park):

Subject: Continuing Issues with the EV Chargers

Good afternoon,
We are experiencing an intermittent fault with the EV charging units, some are working and some are not.
The chargers require a new component to be fitted in each of the units however, due to a global supply chain issue with the required component, it may take several weeks for the matter to be resolved
As the fault is intermittent, we will remove the ‘out of order’ signs so you may attempt to use them but we can’t guarantee that they will be working at present so, you are unable to rely on being able to charge your vehicle on site for the time-being
We apologise for the inconvenience this causes and will be in touch with updates as soon as we can.

mikeIow

Guru
I assume there is a month or May be two lag in data publication. Feel free to have a look:okay:
Why would I want to?
You were the one claiming the best-selling car thing, I was just pointing out the two set of stats looked to be from different months!

Wouldn't surprise me though, given how Tesla are churning them out and given how popular they are for company car drivers.

Stopped off at a motorway services on run back from Edinburgh on Monday. We had to take the XC60 due to limited time and the capacity we needed....glad we did!
2 cars in the 2 charge bays.
We parked up, & saw the Polestar leave. The Peugeot parked in the other bay then moved over - clearly only 50% chargers working there 👀

Emphasises how the dedicated Tesla charging perhaps still remains the main viable solution to public chargepoints: if we'd have needed a charge there with our Kona, we would have been in for a much longer stop than the 20 minutes we had for a loo and coffee stop!!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Why would I want to?
You were the one claiming the best-selling car thing, I was just pointing out the two set of stats looked to be from different months!

Wouldn't surprise me though, given how Tesla are churning them out and given how popular they are for company car drivers.

Stopped off at a motorway services on run back from Edinburgh on Monday. We had to take the XC60 due to limited time and the capacity we needed....glad we did!
2 cars in the 2 charge bays.
We parked up, & saw the Polestar leave. The Peugeot parked in the other bay then moved over - clearly only 50% chargers working there 👀

Emphasises how the dedicated Tesla charging perhaps still remains the main viable solution to public chargepoints: if we'd have needed a charge there with our Kona, we would have been in for a much longer stop than the 20 minutes we had for a loo and coffee stop!!
Mrs B and I have just returned from a week in Devon. We took her Tiguan, but out of curiosity on each of the two stops we made each way, I looked at the charge points, should we have taken my Golf GTE. Both for availability of the charge points, but also the cost.
On both the journey down, (travelling mid morning to late afternoon) and home, (leaving 5.30am and home 11am), we could have charged an electric car as we parked up. The journey down was particularly surprising, as the service stations we stopped at were very busy.
All of the vacant charge stations appeared to be working. That is to say, the displays indicated they were working.
Perhaps it was just good timing on our part?

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
On a long journey the cost of charging at motorway fast charging points is as expensive as buying petrol or diesel at a supermarket. I was really disappointed when I worked it out.

With our plug-in hybrid Seat Leon we gain charging at home but there's no benefit plugging in at motorway services.

When full EVs become cheaper and we can get a small family estate one we will but can't contemplate it until then. Paying out over £13000 more to get an EV was a step too far.

On a long journey the cost of charging at motorway fast charging points is as expensive as buying petrol or diesel at a supermarket. I was really disappointed when I worked it out.

With our plug-in hybrid Seat Leon we gain charging at home but there's no benefit plugging in at motorway services.

When full EVs become cheaper and we can get a small family estate one we will but can't contemplate it until then. Paying out over £13000 more to get an EV was a step too far.
The ones I've used are 30p per kWh.
I think the ultra fast ones are double that but do you really need that speed ?

Top Bottom