First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
I may be an edge case but I'm not sure it's a great idea to scrap a working car for a newly created car that can't replace the previous one.

Untill you try and EV, you cannot dismiss them as not been as good as combustion cars. For me they are BETTER, and I've had some OK combustion cars. This is the dyno print out for my last combustion car, thats WHP, and notice the odd power curve.....we couldn't stop it from wheel spinning on the dyno. I even took it on a 2000 mile European road trip to the Swiss Alps and coming back via Germany and the Belgium GP, so you could say I was just slight petrol head :smile:.

9417408998_dd29074d8c_c_d.jpg

14779273880_6903ed2e72_c_d.jpg

15397147064_0f69d86fa0_c_d.jpg

......can you guess the EV I gave up the 335i for......a Nissan Leaf :laugh:, and as far as am concerned it was the best car purchase decision I have ever made. You would have to pay me to go back into a combustion car these days, and even than I would just sell that car and get an EV. I'm going to list all the reasons why I love EVs so much more than combustion cars, but if a self proclaimed former petrol head can make the move to EVs, am sure most people can.

16812875378_25591dc576_c_d.jpg

I'm (NOT?) going to list all the reasons why I love EVs so much more than combustion cars, but if a self proclaimed former petrol head can make the move to EVs, am sure most people can.
I like the way they drive, all that torque from the off, but it's just they don't go far enough for our usage pattern, not even the £100K one alien mask sells.

JhnBssll

Veteran
We've got a petrol car too which we'll be keeping, along with a Diesel van. It will be interesting to see how often I start using the Tesla on longer drives though, I suspect it will be a more pleasant environment than even my wife's Arteon but we shall see :becool: I've got a bit of a wait until I can find out as yet :laugh:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Untill you try and EV, you cannot dismiss them as not been as good as combustion cars. For me they are BETTER, and I've had some OK combustion cars. This is the dyno print out for my last combustion car, thats WHP, and notice the odd power curve.....we couldn't stop it from wheel spinning on the dyno. I even took it on a 2000 mile European road trip to the Swiss Alps and coming back via Germany and the Belgium GP, so you could say I was just slight petrol head :smile:.

View attachment 602687

View attachment 602688

View attachment 602689

......can you guess the EV I gave up the 335i for......a Nissan Leaf :laugh:, and as far as am concerned it was the best car purchase decision I have ever made. You would have to pay me to go back into a combustion car these days, and even than I would just sell that car and get an EV. I'm going to list all the reasons why I love EVs so much more than combustion cars, but if a self proclaimed former petrol head can make the move to EVs, am sure most people can.

View attachment 602690
Do you live near the mighty metropolis called Great Stretton, then? Or Eau Rouge / Raidillon?;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Like me, not enough miles.

I've considered one for the commute, but a bit pointless now due to covid, and my commutes will be a couple of times a week, and likely by bike now.

Also I could just squeeze a trip to the caravan in an EV, but not get back, charging points are poor in North Wales, and not so sure a caravan electrics will cope with a charger.

Cost is also an issue. e.g a petrol Corsa is about £10k or more cheaper than the electric one. Bonkers - i'll never get the fuel difference back.
yeah i was looking at the new corsa out of interest for the next car when we get rid of the stepway eventually as the corsa is now a similar size ( 10 less litres boot space ) but they start at £17 k ! for a petrol . Mrs CK wants a duster and i can see us getting a bigger car as the kids get older .If we get either carers allowance or PIP for mrs ck on top of the disabilty allowance for mini ck 1 she would pack up work anyway .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
yeah i was looking at the new corsa out of interest for the next car when we get rid of the stepway eventually as the corsa is now a similar size ( 10 less litres boot space ) but they start at £17 k ! for a petrol . Mrs CK wants a duster and i can see us getting a bigger car as the kids get older .If we get either carers allowance or PIP for mrs ck on top of the disabilty allowance for mini ck 1 she would pack up work anyway .

Good luck with the PIP - could MrsCK qualify for the 'mobility' allowance - could use that for a leccy motability car !

D

Deleted member 1258

Looking at the actual report it is let down by the lack of AEB, the rest of the test read ok .I suppose growing up in the 70s where the boot was used to carry kids anything seems better :smile:

Yes, I read an article about that, just the absence of one system dragged the whole thing down. I remember as a kid traveling in the back of my Uncle's A35 estate when he had a full car and needed to fit a couple of us kids in.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes, I read an article about that, just the absence of one system dragged the whole thing down. I remember as a kid traveling in the back of my Uncle's A35 estate when when he had a full car and needed to fit a couple of us kids in.
Six kids can be squeezed into the back seat of an Austin Metro and then a further three adults in the front as I recall from a seaside trip from my youth.

Nowadays it seems to require an enormous SUV just to transport just one child a few hundred yards to school.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Six kids can be squeezed into the back seat of an Austin Metro and then a further three adults in the front as I recall from a seaside trip from my youth.

Nowadays it seems to require an enormous SUV just to transport just one child a few hundred yards to school.
we had a micra 2 adults and 4 kids before that a maxi but we didnt even have a car till i was maybe 12-13 ? untill then it was bus or walk with hols being on the train .

gzoom

Über Member
Do you live near the mighty metropolis called Great Stretton, then? Or Eau Rouge / Raidillon?;)

I would love to live here, but I cannot tolerate the weather.....so instead Leicestershire will do :smile:.

8076485486_cf63b52826_k_d.jpg

We've got a petrol car too which we'll be keeping, along with a Diesel van. It will be interesting to see how often I start using the Tesla on longer drives though, I suspect it will be a more pleasant environment than even my wife's Arteon but we shall see :becool: I've got a bit of a wait until I can find out as yet :laugh:

If you are a cheapskate than the EV will get used alot more, its easily 50% cheaper for fuel costs alone.

We are heading out to Fort William this weekend, 900 miles+ summer holiday road trip coming up in our EV (total estimated fuel costs £30), cannot wait:smile:.

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Gzoom what real world range do you get with the Leaf and is it s 40 or 62kW version please?
I have seen quoted figures around 270 miles does this bear out in typical conditions though? of course in mid winter I would expect less than in summer but in general…

maybe I will just take the plunge in a cpl of years when the Seat is paid off and likely to become my OH’s, so we would always have something capable of a longer trip without the need to recharge.

thanks

We have the 42kw Leaf and in the summer I reckon you'd get 145 miles on the motorway.
Different roads and speeds would give you different range.

The longest normal day for us is about 70 miles so it would be rare for us to need to charge away from home.

Top Bottom