First miles of 2020 done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Oh yes next to the playground. We used to go there when GtiJunior was a kid.

The Applestore is pretty good as well, enormous scones and a nice atmosphere, inside or out. We usually approach along the stony lane from the north when riding the Bleasdale Fell circuit.

That's right near the playground. We get to Applestore either via a flat route through Preston and up to Nateby or if we are doing hills out to Chipping and over Oakenclough. I like them both but absolutely love the view over Morecambe Bay from the top of Oakenclough. Well worth climbing for!!

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Well, I wont be getting out today at all. The wind strength means I would be getting loads of KOM`s but I don`t fancy the battle back into the head-wind - it would be quicker to walk lol

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well, I wont be getting out today at all. The wind strength means I would be getting loads of KOM`s but I don`t fancy the battle back into the head-wind - it would be quicker to walk lol

So why not ride out against the wind and enjoy a push home? Or take a train out and ride home?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
To my astonishment one of our guys lead a flat* route on a loop to Ribchester where we visited a favourite café.

54 miles. 16.7avg.

* Until today the only ways I knew to Ribchester involved climbs.
It would totally astonish me too, given that there isn't a flat route to Ribchester! :okay:

You must mean 'much flatter than usual' or 'relatively flat' because all of the roads from Ribchester climb up from the Ribble. Or did your leader find a bridleway or cyclepath along the banks of the river?

D

Deleted member 1258

I got my first miles of the year in today, 44 miles, I rode over to the Hatton Locks cafe. very murky at first but brightened up a bit after an hour, but it was dull and grey all ride, windy as well, made it a slow hard mornings pedalling.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

I got my first miles of the year in today, 44 miles, I rode over to the Hatton Locks cafe. very murky at first but brightened up a bit after an hour, but it was dull and grey all ride, windy as well, made it a slow hard mornings pedalling.
Good effort! It was similar here today and I felt tempted to do a decent ride but I had too much to do so just nipped down to the health centre for a blood test, and then shopped at Lidl. Only a couple of miles in total. I must get stuck in soon though because I am terribly unfit after doing little since the end of October.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It would totally astonish me too, given that there isn't a flat route to Ribchester! :okay:

You must mean 'much flatter than usual' or 'relatively flat' because all of the roads from Ribchester climb up from the Ribble. Or did your leader find a bridleway or cyclepath along the banks of the river?

I suppose in theory you could devise a pretty flat ride from Preston to Ribblehead as long as you didn't mind the odd short sharp shock where the road climbs an old river bank, such as the nasty short and brutish climb between the County showground by Ribchester Bridge and Dinckley.

ColinJ

I suppose in theory you could devise a pretty flat ride from Preston to Ribblehead as long as you didn't mind the odd short sharp shock where the road climbs an old river bank, such as the nasty short and brutish climb between the County showground by Ribchester Bridge and Dinckley.
There is quite a climb up to Ribblehead, which is at 298 m above sea level! Meanwhile, back at Ribchester... :laugh:

Nebulous

Guru
51 miles done today. I was going North-West and the wind was South-East so I expected a decent amount of assistance. It didn’t feel like that however. At times I had a side wind and for some stretches it felt more like a headwind. That’s started my miles for the year.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How about as far as Settle then? That's right on the edge of the Dales so you hardly have to climb at all to reach the town.

D

Deleted member 1258

Good effort! It was similar here today and I felt tempted to do a decent ride but I had too much to do so just nipped down to the health centre for a blood test, and then shopped at Lidl. Only a couple of miles in total. I must get stuck in soon though because I am terribly unfit after doing little since the end of October.

My fitness isn't brilliant, October last year I passed 4000 miles and though 5000 miles for the year was on, but then we had all that bad weather and was struggling to find time to get out on my bike, in the end I just crept over the 5000 mark but for most of the last couple of months of the year I wasn't riding much and its showing now.

ozboz

Guru
Thread needs to be locked now. Anyone posting after 1st Jan just doesn't count, the lazy laggards! :tongue:
There’s a big reason for that delay , I d run out of proper fuel !!
Holland’s puddings hard to come by around here !! Ok now though !!😊
K

Last edited:
Top Bottom