First miles of 2020 done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It would totally astonish me too, given that there isn't a flat route to Ribchester! :okay:

You must mean 'much flatter than usual' or 'relatively flat' because all of the roads from Ribchester climb up from the Ribble. Or did your leader find a bridleway or cyclepath along the banks of the river?
We did 54 miles and 2200 feet. Like your neck of the woods round here that's flat!!! :laugh:

There were a few inclines but the only climb of any note was the long drag up to Longridge.

Just an observation it is possible to get out of Ribchester on two relatively easy roads. Head towards the A59, over the bridge and immediate left will give one short climb on the way to Langho. Alternatively head straight up the incline towards the A59, turn right on to A59 then 1.5 miles turn right to Balderstones.

When Jeffrey Hill is the alternative all things are relative!!! :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We did 54 miles and 2200 feet. Like your neck of the woods round here that's flat!!! :laugh:

There were a few inclines but the only climb of any note was the long drag up to Longridge.
So, 'flattish', rather than 'flat'! I usually go via Longridge if riding north to south.
Just an observation it is possible to get out of Ribchester on two relatively easy roads. Head towards the A59, over the bridge and immediate left will give one short climb on the way to Langho.
Yes, I've gone that way many times.
Alternatively head straight up the incline towards the A59, turn right on to A59 then 1.5 miles turn right to Balderstones.
I only tried that way once and the B6245 incline was fairly busy, but the A59 was horribly busy. I didn't enjoy that. I was going south to Blackburn over Top of Ramsgreave. The next time I did it I went via Langho and Parsonage reservoir.

Where do you go from Balderstones? I can't see anywhere obvious to go from there!
When Jeffrey Hill is the alternative all things are relative!!! :eek:
I'm amazed that Jeffrey Hill is your normal route! For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, this is it...

:eek:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So, 'flattish', rather than 'flat'! I usually go via Longridge if riding north to south.

In all seriousness that is a flat ride for us. Even if we head west from Chorley an easy 50 miler will include 15-1800 feet and that's on roads people would consider absolutely flat! The ride below would be hilly but we do many with perhaps double that climbing!

I only tried that way once and the B6245 incline was fairly busy, but the A59 was horribly busy. I didn't enjoy that. I was going south to Blackburn over Top of Ramsgreave. The next time I did it I went via Langho and Parsonage reservoir.

Where do you go from Balderstones? I can't see anywhere obvious to go from there!

Yes it can be busy but one has to accept a few miles of traffic on occasions. The A59 bit is only 1.5/2 miles so 7/8 minutes at most.

Check the route after Ribchester. From the A59 turn right on Osbaldestone Lane at the Bay Horse. What catches people out is Bezza Lane appears to go nowhere - this is a mapping error in RWGPS and I imagine other maps. Switching to walking mode in RWGPS allows one to plot the route. Follow this and eventually hit the A59 and head towards Roach Bridge.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31656705

'm amazed that Jeffrey Hill is your normal route!

Jeffrey Hill is a regular climb for us. It does go on but not much to worry about till the last bit approaching the left bend.

These things are relative to one's personal pleasure. I love riding hills and also flat fast rides. We just chose what the majority fancy on the day.

Jeffrey is one of my training loops. There are three ways up it from the Ribchester side which converge for the final assault! I usually start with the traditional route on Stoneygate Lane, climb to top, left on Forty Acre Lane, Longridge, Ribchester and then up again. I do that loop 3-6 times. I vary the route up when I'm doing repeats but basically it's 12 miles and 950-1000 feet of climbing. If you'd like to see the variations let me know and I'll post them - they include some flat so not straight up!!

One of the things about Lancashire, and I'm sure you know this, the best riding is found in and around many of our hills. I'm 65.

Today's ride to Nateby is flat but still has 1900 feet in it!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In all seriousness that is a flat ride for us. Even if we head west from Chorley an easy 50 miler will include 15-1800 feet and that's on roads people would consider absolutely flat! The ride below would be hilly but we do many with perhaps double that climbing!
Yes, I read some members talking about their hilly rides and they are what we would call flat/flattish.

I remember reading posts about a FNRTtC ride that ascended a monster hill from Ribchester to Longridge... I had to doublecheck my OS map to see if there was a monster climb that I'd forgotten about! :laugh:
Yes it can be busy but one has to accept a few miles of traffic on occasions. The A59 bit is only 1.5/2 miles so 7/8 minutes at most.

Check the route after Ribchester. From the A59 turn right on Osbaldestone Lane at the Bay Horse. What catches people out is Bezza Lane appears to go nowhere - this is a mapping error in RWGPS and I imagine other maps. Switching to walking mode in RWGPS allows one to plot the route. Follow this and eventually hit the A59 and head towards Roach Bridge.
It was the evening rush hour when I hit the A59. It probably isn't so bad at other times.

Bezzal Ln, strange - it is shown as a track/bridleway on the OS map. The Streetview car only went along the first bit of it and then stopped before a sign, which I can't read. The lane looks perfectly ok at that point - what is the surface like further on?

I have ridden - Mellor/Nab's Head/Samlesbury Bottoms a few times. I liked that route.

Ah, you are talking about Jeffrey Hill from the easier (south) side. Yes, that is a good climb and a nice loop. Coming up it from the north isn't something that I'd like to do repeats of!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes, I read some members talking about their hilly rides and they are what we would call flat/flattish.

I remember reading posts about a FNRTtC ride that ascended a monster hill from Ribchester to Longridge... I had to doublecheck my OS map to see if there was a monster climb that I'd forgotten about! :laugh:

It's all relevant to one's local experience. I recall being on Ride London. I said to the guy next to me words to the effect of "When do we get to the first climb? (Newlands I think) and he replied "You're on it!" Possibly this wasn't the best question to have asked. :laugh: Speaking to people from the NW, NE, SW and Scotland the basic response was "Hills? What hills?" Those three PRL climbs don't offer a real challenge yet they are constantly talked up. The worst one is at about 90 miles in Wimbledon, with shot legs I swore obscenly and loudly at myself to drive up about 3-400 metres!!

It was the evening rush hour when I hit the A59. It probably isn't so bad at other times.

That would be very bad. We don't like it at anytime but it's a necessary evil

Bezzal Ln, strange - it is shown as a track/bridleway on the OS map. The Streetview car only went along the first bit of it and then stopped before a sign, which I can't read. The lane looks perfectly ok at that point - what is the surface like further on?

I have ridden - Mellor/Nab's Head/Samlesbury Bottoms a few times. I liked that route.

The Bezza Lane surface is rideable but it's not great. A lot of ruts and potholes to be dodged on the second half as far as the A59. We ride it at about 15-16 but not as a group. Along here people are strung out in 1s and 2s and relaxing as there is no traffic.

Ah, you are talking about Jeffrey Hill from the easier (south) side. Yes, that is a good climb and a nice loop. Coming up it from the north isn't something that I'd like to do repeats of!

Yes from the easier, Ribchester (south) side. No the north climb is basically best avoided. I've watched friends fall off just below the sharp right bend!

D

Deleted member 1258

It's all relevant to one's local experience. I recall being on Ride London. I said to the guy next to me words to the effect of "When do we get to the first climb? (Newlands I think) and he replied "You're on it!" Possibly this wasn't the best question to have asked. :laugh: Speaking to people from the NW, NE, SW and Scotland the basic response was "Hills? What hills?" Those three PRL climbs don't offer a real challenge yet they are constantly talked up. The worst one is at about 90 miles in Wimbledon, with shot legs I swore obscenly and loudly at myself to drive up about 3-400 metres!!

That would be very bad. We don't like it at anytime but it's a necessary evil

The Bezza Lane surface is rideable but it's not great. A lot of ruts and potholes to be dodged on the second half as far as the A59. We ride it at about 15-16 but not as a group. Along here people are strung out in 1s and 2s and relaxing as there is no traffic.

Yes from the easier, Ribchester (south) side. No the north climb is basically best avoided. I've watched friends fall off just below the sharp right bend!

As you say its all relative, I've been shouted down for saying Coventry isn't flat, which it isn't, but to people from hillier regions it doesn't contain anything that's a challenge to them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Couldn’t find a 2020 target thread..
I’m on 1011 miles as of now.
All outdoors, none of those pretend turbo or gym miles :whistle:

That’s pretty good for me especially considering how horrible weather was in Jan/Feb! :ph34r:

Benefit of lockdown Wah :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Couldn’t find a 2020 target thread..
I’m on 1011 miles as of now.
All outdoors, none of those pretend turbo or gym miles :whistle:

That’s pretty good for me especially considering how horrible weather was in Jan/Feb! :ph34r:

Benefit of lockdown Wah :okay:
I know of someone only does exercise bike riding and his stats are great , he is going to have a real shock when he gets into the real world and has to ride uphill

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm having a good year so far. Remained largely injury free and my mind is in a good place. Bizarrely, 2020 miles covered so far (and a 0.7 but we won't mention that because it ruins the synchronicity).

vickster

Legendary Member
I might have to rein it in a bit as my knee is starting to complain and I can’t see anyone for therapy :sad:
A proper sports massage to legs would probably do me the world of good (although it’ll hurt like... :evil:)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I might have to rein it in a bit as my knee is starting to complain and I can’t see anyone for therapy :sad:
A proper sports massage to legs would probably do me the world of good (although it’ll hurt like... :evil:)
1587192034969.png

Take it easy my knees were aching a bit yesterdy after riding into that wind for 10 miles or so , average dropped by 4 mph by the time i got home .

Up to 57 miles for the year so far, a little ahead of last year at the same point. Surgery to blame both years! Will hope to get to at least 500 miles this year, something I probably last did as a schoolboy commuter...
At least the bikes don't wear out very fast!

Top Bottom