First puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommohawk

So after 1100+ miles on my Giant Contend SL2021 I have suffered my first puncture. Time to look out the tubeless repair kit…

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Has your bike got tubeless tyres? The giant website says wheels are tubeless ready but that probably means you have got traditional tubed tyres which makes things a lot easier to repair.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It can't be tubeless, tubeless tyres don't puncture :okay:
The bike shop said the bike was set up tubeless.
Seriously you should know which, as it influences what you carry with you on a ride. Good job it didnt (i presume) happen when you were miles from home and needed to repair at the roadside

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

rivers

How far can I go?
Pop the tyre off and look. If there is a tube, replace the tube. If no tube, you may need to top up the sealant as Dogtrousers mentions.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
pretty sure that's tubed, looking at valve stem as I assume you don't get the pointless valve collar nut on a tubeless set up as the valve is stuck in place anyway? - someone who runs tubeless may advise

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
pretty sure that's tubed, looking at valve stem as I assume you don't get the pointless valve collar nut on a tubeless set up as the valve is stuck in place anyway? - someone who runs tubeless may advise
It looks like my tubeless valves, which have collar nuts. But it also looks like a tubed valve on my other bike, which does too. So I don't think the presence or absence of collar nuts will tell you much.

As @rivers says, the real giveaway is whether there is a tube inside or not:laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tubeless valves DO have the collar as it is needed to hold the valve in place. Tubes often have one even though it isn't needed. In fact I would go as far as saying they should be removed asap if running traditional inner tubes or you may find yourself in a situation like I experienced a couple of weeks ago when riding with friends.
One of the group picked up a slow puncture and when we stopped to fix it we couldn't get the collar nut off due to muck or corrosion. We had to keep pumping up the tyre and had to ride many miles before we found someone with a pair of pliers so we could remove the nut. I told the bike owner to throw away the nut but I noticed on the next ride he had refitted it :wacko:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Tubeless valves DO have the collar as it is needed to hold the valve in place. Tubes often have one even though it isn't needed. In fact I would go as far as saying they should be removed asap if running traditional inner tubes or you may find yourself in a situation like I experienced a couple of weeks ago when riding with friends.
One of the group picked up a slow puncture and when we stopped to fix it we couldn't get the collar nut off due to muck or corrosion. We had to keep pumping up the tyre and had to ride many miles before we found someone with a pair of pliers so we could remove the nut. I told the bike owner to throw away the nut but I noticed on the next ride he had refitted it :wacko:

Yes, I've experienced exactly this. I'm of the view the collar nut is important, if it wasn't why would manufacturers waste money on supplying millions.

Since my experience I've taken to checking them regularly and adding a drop of lube.

Top Bottom