First puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm loving this thread. I do like a good collar nut discussion.

I'm in the pro camp, I always use them - and valve caps too. And I carry a mini-leatherman style thing with pliers. I've had to lend that to so many people, and used it myself. It's one of my favourite tools.

si_c

Guru
I have no reason to doubt the bike shop who said the bike was sold tubeless.
Definitely not a tubeless tyre, it's listed on Giant's website as a wired bead tyre to start with, the shop likely misunderstood your question, it's a tubeless ready wheelset but not a tubeless setup.

If you had a puncture and it was tubeless you'd know about it as there will be sealant sprayed everywhere from the puncture if it hasn't sealed, it it had sealed you'd still have sealant sprayed everywhere, but you wouldn't need a repair kit.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm loving this thread. I do like a good collar nut discussion.

I'm in the pro camp, I always use them - and valve caps too. And I carry a mini-leatherman style thing with pliers. I've had to lend that to so many people, and used it myself. It's one of my favourite tools.

Me too! I'm in the other camp - if they were necessary how come some tubes come without them, with a smooth valve barrel? Just think of the weight you'd save if you got rid of them and didn't have to haul that 'mini-leatherman style thing with pliers' around all the time ^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I having been trying really, really hard not to post this in all caps from the start.

Please, I beg you @Tommohawk put us out of our (and your) misery!
But we already have the answer.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
But we already have the answer.
But the question has changed. It was originally "are my tyres tubeless?" it moved on to "what use are valve collars?" then to "valve caps, yes or no?" then "should I tool up with a leatherman?" In a little while it'll be "should my bar end caps match?". We need answers to these! That's the internet for you!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes, I've experienced exactly this. I'm of the view the collar nut is important, if it wasn't why would manufacturers waste money on supplying millions.

Since my experience I've taken to checking them regularly and adding a drop of lube.
Why is the collar nut important? It does precisely nothing.

Ditto valve caps, they preceed the collar nut on their trip to the bin when I buy a tube. Never had a problem without either.

Top Bottom