First puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With the c situation when I got a gravel bike earlier in the year I got it on line (from Wiggle). It was advertised as tubeless tyres and wheels but to make it actually tubeless I had to buy some tubeless valves and add sealant. I can understand why a online retailer doesn't want to ship something that could be messy. On the other hand I got tubeless wheels from Hunt on line 3 years ago and you could pay for them to be set up tubeless before they shipped.

Why is the collar nut important? It does precisely nothing.

Ditto valve caps, they preceed the collar nut on their trip to the bin when I buy a tube. Never had a problem without either.
I ditch them on tube wheels, they can stop a tyre rattling if your set up isnt right but some tubed stems actually come without them (when I used tubes they were my preferred type). 15-20 seconds to remove them (more if they have seized like earlier posters) and the same again to refit isn't a big deal when you ride on your own but when you ride in groups/ races its something you can do without.

With tubeless systems they are actually needed as they pull the rubber plug on the stem (in the rim) against the rim to stop air/ sealant leaking out too much.

Chislenko

Veteran
I have no reason to doubt the trusted opinions of regular CC contributors. The answer is easy to find; 10 seconds with a tyre lever will tell you!

Trust me if they are tubeless and anything like as snug as the ones I have it won't be 10 seconds!!

I think the last one I took off took circa 10 minutes just to break the seal around the rim. My thumb's were raw at the end from continuous pushing!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Why is the collar nut important? It does precisely nothing.

Ditto valve caps, they preceed the collar nut on their trip to the bin when I buy a tube. Never had a problem without either.
The collar nut helps to lock the valve in place. On a tubeless tyre this helps the seal - try unscrewing one - and on a tubed tyre it prevents the valve rocking during inflation.

Dust caps fairly obviously prevent dust, grit etc. getting into the valve. An unlikely occurrence I agree but a possibility. They also, IMV, make the valve look smarter.

I've never understood why both seem to upset people.

Chislenko

Veteran
Couldn't you rest the rim on the ground and tread on the side of the tyre to let your weight do the pushing for you?

That's a good point Colin, I just wish I had thought of it at the time, there would have been a lot less swearing 😃

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Same here, valve caps present an opportunity to have a smart coloured bling adornment on your best racing stead!:laugh:
I was on a ride with someone who punctured and his valve cap, which matched the cable housings of his beautiful Colnago, became lost in the grass. I have a photo somewhere of about four cyclists on their hands and knees, desperately searching for it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My valve caps also increase my speed by about 1% (each). They are go-faster red ones.

What! You don't use aero valve covers??

:ohmy:

1631260886822.png

Top Bottom