First time buyer advice - which of these 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1987

Hi everyone, I'm after some advice on buying a used bike for a daily 3mile return commute to work. My work does offer the cycle2work scheme but its not open yet and would like to get a used bike to use for this year to ensure I am to use it daily and that its not going to sit gathering dust before I get a fork out on a new bike.

I'm 5'8 with an inside leg of 33" and the ride commute will be mainly on busy road Colchester roads with a small amount on paths going uphill. I was aiming to spend around £150 on a used bike and was looking at the Carrera subway, Carrera Crossfire and Carrera parva which I came across yesterday when checking frame sizes. the main differences seem to be on the brake types and no. of gears.

Any opinions or advice greatly appreciated!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191841355854?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191841368662?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-parva-womens-hybrid-bike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-c...992310?hash=item3d160d8eb6:g:1mUAAOSwJblW~Yeb

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Size wise you have linked to some different sized bikes there. You are taller than me and longer inside leg but I think that 21 inch would be too big and that the 16 inch would be too small. I'm 5'6, and 32 inside leg and I've currently got a 19 inch bike, though my next one I think will be smaller as I'm finding it a bit stretched out as I get older.

Others hopefully will help with choosing which bike.

OP
OP
J

J1987

Size wise you have linked to some different sized bikes there. You are taller than me and longer inside leg but I think that 21 inch would be too big and that the 16 inch would be too small. I'm 5'6, and 32 inside leg and I've currently got a 19 inch bike, though my next one I think will be smaller as I'm finding it a bit stretched out as I get older.

Others hopefully will help with choosing which bike.

Thank you for the prompt response. I was originally looking at an 18" but the Carrera have fixed handle bars unless I change the stem and the fixed one sits quite low causing me to lean - I tried the 20" in store and that seemed ok. The 16 was too small but the link was just to show the bike.

The carreras are decent, but something like
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/boriginal-500-hybrid-bike-id_8301530.html
would also be an option. No need for front suspsension (lighter - easier to cycle) and remember to get mudguards and check how you'll take your gear into work (backpack or panniers). I'd be tempted to get something new in case you get a bike with a few small faults (unless you know a friendly mechanic). Brake types shouldn't be too important for you, I'd probably just go for blocks as they're easier to fiddle with and as long as its got gears, you should be OK (how hilly is your route)?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A new bike with a warranty and a shop to help you with the inevitable small adjustments needed would be a much better bet unless you already know a fair bit about bikes.

Worth stretching to the £200 for the Parva.

The extra £50 - and more - could soon be spent on repairs to a used bike.

OP
OP
J

J1987

The carreras are decent, but something like
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/boriginal-500-hybrid-bike-id_8301530.html
would also be an option. No need for front suspsension (lighter - easier to cycle) and remember to get mudguards and check how you'll take your gear into work (backpack or panniers). I'd be tempted to get something new in case you get a bike with a few small faults (unless you know a friendly mechanic). Brake types shouldn't be too important for you, I'd probably just go for blocks as they're easier to fiddle with and as long as its got gears, you should be OK (how hilly is your route)?

The reason behind not buying new is because I'm waiting for the cycle scheme at work to start up again. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a child so I thought a cheap second hand one for a few months to get back into it would be a good idea and to make sure cycling to work was for me before I make a real investment.
I imagine a small high vis backpack will be sufficient as I have a locker and changing room at work to store bits in.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you like the bike you buy why would you need to use C2W? You may find you want another bike to complement that one, something racier for longer summer rides, but the bike you buy now could be used for winter duties. Or if you come to sell it, you likely won't lose much on a £200 bike

I'm between 5'9 and 5'10, similar inside leg, I'd be looking at a 19" or 54cm frame

As others have said, don't bother with suspension, especially on a used budget bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

J1987

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and get a subway and pop it on the credit card and pay it off over a few months. At least i'll the warranty and 6 week check - there's not much in spending £200 on the new parva and £250 on a bike that seems to have good reviews for a first hybrid.

Any opinions on the subway 1 vs 2 and would you recommend I get it built by an independent shop as opposed to Halfords as the general consensus seems to be that they're not always the most reliable?

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't Halfords have interest free credit at the mo?

If you get a decent vibe at your local branch just use them to build it and then check everything is tight and straight.

Another tip, if you join British Cycling ride membership, you get 10% off at Halfords...plus the other important benefits of third party indemnity and legal help in case of an accident
You'll almost cover the cost with a bike purchase

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and get a subway and pop it on the credit card and pay it off over a few months. At least i'll the warranty and 6 week check - there's not much in spending £200 on the new parva and £250 on a bike that seems to have good reviews for a first hybrid.

Any opinions on the subway 1 vs 2 and would you recommend I get it built by an independent shop as opposed to Halfords as the general consensus seems to be that they're not always the most reliable?

TBH, if you spend ~£200 on a bike and get a good first year out of it, its probably paid for itself. The BC membership is important (as mentioned above) especially for 3rd party cover (and 10% off at Halfords). Don't forget all extras about locks, lights, mudguards, pumps, basic tools, If you're on a budget, try some of the shops like planetx ... and/or keep an eye on the "found a bargian" thread on here or
https://www.facebook.com/bikebargains
Its easy for these extra costs to mount up.

The 21 inch is massive. I've got a 21 inch MX comp, and I'm a 5'11 bloke. I'd say look for an 18 or 19 inch, and the Subway is the nicest of those, as an all rounder. However the women's Carrera would be better from a woman specific geometery/ setup point of view.

vickster

Legendary Member
Womens version looks better IMO, it's not black. And you may not need to change the saddle

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-womens-hybrid-bike-2015

This definitely looks worth a look too, lighter, carbon fork, faster on roads, 700c wheels, easier to get tyres, hydraulic discs, would be a no brainer for me for an extra £50

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/13-intuitive-lambda-womens-hybrid-bike

Or online via Quidco for cashback, to collect in store with BC card

Be aware that traditional road bike sizing is based on clearance of the horizontal top tube. Modern bikes often have an MTB style sloping top tube (compact frame), and are designed to have more clearance to your groin. The critical dimension is reach from saddle to bars.
Subway is a fine budget commuter. Note the rim/tyre size (was 26", now 27.5"). Invest in some puncture-resistant tyres, at least Schwalbe Marathon, Marathon Plus if you really dislike occasional punctures.
Kit your bike with mudguard, lights, reflector and lock. I always add a rear rack. For a 2x3mile I would carry a basic repair kit but for 2x1.5 mile I would leave it out.

sidevalve

Über Member
You seem to like the Carrera's - ok but maybe a bit heavy. As you are planning on being 'on the road' why not a road bike ? If you intend to buy only as a trial buy very cheap but I would advise check out LBS in your area as some do good second hand deals on vetted checked out bikes. Remember road doesn't always mean £10000000 of carbon and titanium that will shatter if you hit a pebble or being perched on a razor blade head on the bars pumping the pedals like a TDF rider. Further I would get down to any large bike shop and try out some bikes for size and weight - many will let you have a trial ride. One last thought, don't include or expect a well fitting saddle - if it suits you then great [keep it forever] but sadly one of the great cycling imponderables is that it all depends on the shape of your bum

Top Bottom