First time using Wahoo Elemnt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just noticed a load of random people on my map today?

Looks like the 'find friends' feature - but I'm not friends with any of them?
They are other Wahooies out and about. Not sure if, or how, you can stop it though. Maybe a Privacy setting somewhere?
Mind you, there's not many in the wilds of Hamtun to worry about anyway.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Can I ask what happens when you go off route for a few miles, and then get back on a few miles later, does the elemnt recognise that you’re back on the original route, and continue with tbt?
I’ve got one on order, due dutring the week, but wanted to know how this would be resolved. I’m not sure that this is a deal breaker for me, but decided I would give this a go, following my doubts about any Garmin, all without personal experience.
It picks up the route again. :okay:
If you scroll out several clicks, it should show you where the route is.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Can I ask what happens when you go off route for a few miles, and then get back on a few miles later, does the elemnt recognise that you’re back on the original route, and continue with tbt?
I’ve got one on order, due dutring the week, but wanted to know how this would be resolved. I’m not sure that this is a deal breaker for me, but decided I would give this a go, following my doubts about any Garmin, all without personal experience.

Yes. In a word.

But it’s doesnt tell you how to get back on route. Rumour has it, that is something that will come in a software upgrade in the future.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It will pick the route up later, i have diverted of course a few times, when you pick up your route again. you can continue to follow it.

I have nothing but praise now that I’ve used mine in anger over the weekend. I plotted on rwgps a route over the hill to the South Downs way, and absolutely no issues getting there, with some intriguing alternates, that without the elemnt I may have diverted onto.
Adding a 14 mile loop away from my plotted route, and back again for the last 2 miles, was well managed by the wahoo.
Interestingly, with 8 miles to go coming back, it appeared to indicate the correct mileage to the end point, even though it had no plotted route to follow.
The very quick upload to rwgps was cool too, and my Apple Watch received the data into my health app, meaning that my miles were included in my workout.
A fantastic piece of kit, which I’m very happy to recommend even at this early stage.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
For those who have used the Wahoo Elemnt: did you find the ascent to be reasonably accurate (i.e. the total climb)?

I have nothing to compare it with, so cannot answer this, but it was interesting to see a short section at 13%! I’m not this is totally accurate, but approximate is fine for me.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have nothing to compare it with, so cannot answer this, but it was interesting to see a short section at 13%! I’m not this is totally accurate, but approximate is fine for me.
Actually I meant the cumulative (aka total) ascent, not the grade.

Last edited:
Ah, well my ride over the downs showed around 1700 ft of climb, which is good enough for me, and a little surprising. You’d maybe have to have someone able to compare with previous known ascents, but the reviews I’ve read say that it’s closely comparable.
Are you thinking of buying? If so, I would albeit only a few days in, say that it’s added a
Lot of interest for me, and taken nothin away!
I chose this over the bolt for better observation due to the increased size.

cogarch

Regular
I went on a coast to coast ride with a friend who had a Garmin and his battery ran out before the end. The Elemnt's b&w screen may be unspectacular (although I think the typography is unusually stylish) but it means it can last you a whole day in the saddle.

nickAKA

Über Member
I've been using my bolt for the last few weeks and it's been excellent, up until a ride last night where I got a 'malformed file' error in strava on the attempted upload. I followed some advice on strava's forums which suggested it would most likely be a glitch with the timestamp, so I ran it through an online repair app and it ditched half the ride! I'm only a little bit sad about this tbh but it does concern me somewhat for future rides... The file went into Google fit & RideWithGPS no problem so could just be a strava specific issue. Oh well, back to riding with a backup device I suppose...

Top Bottom