fiting mudguards and rack to bike with disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Surely not a simple procedure!

Perhaps the rack would be easy with a disc specific design

How about the full length mudguards; can't see how they would clear the front disc caliper!

Considering a Kona Dew Plus to replace my stolen bike but it has disc brakes so could be a problem.

Can't see why its a problem. I have guards and a rack on my Giant escape, also my daughters specialized ariel has both.
My rack (blackburn) isn't even disc specific, though it did need a little 'adjustment' in a vice to spread it a bit get it to fit. Guards fit the braze-on no problem at the front on the specialized ariel with shock front forks.
Will the shop fit both for you? Might even be able to get a discount with the bike. Also get them on the same receipt as the bike if you do as when I had a bike stolen insurance co. refused to pay for rack/guards as they were not on original receipt so counted as 'accessories'. grrr

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Piemaster said:
Can't see why its a problem. I have guards and a rack on my Giant escape, also my daughters specialized ariel has both.
My rack (blackburn) isn't even disc specific, though it did need a little 'adjustment' in a vice to spread it a bit get it to fit. Guards fit the braze-on no problem at the front on the specialized ariel with shock front forks.
Will the shop fit both for you? Might even be able to get a discount with the bike. Also get them on the same receipt as the bike if you do as when I had a bike stolen insurance co. refused to pay for rack/guards as they were not on original receipt so counted as 'accessories'. grrr

+1
Shop fitted mine at the time I bought the bike (same as his:biggrin:).

g00se

Veteran
I've got SKS Commuters on my Dew Plus. I needed to do a bit of bending on the front stays to get them to fit around the callipers but nothing too complex.

04112009323-1.jpg

I've bent the front, nearside stay - you can just make it out in the picture though the bottom of the door sort of merges into it in the pic so it's harder to see. Basically, I bent the parallel pair of stays up near the hub and down near the mudguard mounting points. The additional length of the stays means that there is extra so that the radius of the mudguard is the same for both sides. I did have to trim the extra off though as the Dews can suffer from pedal overlap and the stays protrude at the point where the overlap will occur if it is going to happen. The stay end covers still fit over the trimmed stays so that doesn't affect the look.

The rear stays on the SKS Commuters are at more of an angle that some and you can see that they're close to the rear brake pull - but there's just enough gap so it's not an issue.

There are loads of disc racks available too.

Is it a 2009 Dew Plus or a 2010? The latter have restyled seat stays so the rear callipers are further around so regular rack might fit.

Top Bottom