Fitting my road bike to turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
A bit of a technical question.

I bought a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro Turbo Trainer https://www.tredz.co.uk/.CycleOps-Jet-Fluid-Pro-Turbo-Trainer-Kit-with-Speed-Sensor_205639.htm

The bike I have is a Cube Attain GTC https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/attain/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-greynflashred-2016/

The quick release bolt is not long enough for the Cube, but I managed to fit my hybrid to the turbo. I would rather have the road bike on it, so can anyone tell me what I need to buy to make this happen?

Many thanks

I bought one of these

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Is mine 142mm x 12mm?

Just done 1/2 hour on the hybrid, wasn’t too bad. If I bought a wheel and cassette and training tyre, how cheap could I go?

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s quite dear. Might just burn through normal tyres instead
:laugh:
They make a mess...and cost £10 even for crap ones

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I’ve taken all superfluous bits off my hybrid (mudguards, pannier, bottle holders, pump) and added a turbo specific tyre to make it look like a lean fat burning machine.

So I have my good road bike and the hybrid on the turbo. The problem is my daughter. She’ll want to go out cycling on her bike and it’ll be canals/gravel paths etc. It’s why I bought the hybrid, except the hybrid would now need a bit of time to get back to going out condition.

The solution? A 3rd bike! Rather than spend £100 on a different wheel, I could spend £300 (approx) on a cheap hybrid for the turbo and keep my current hybrid in road worthy condition for family outings. Or I could even buy a cheap road bike for the turbo (preferable). How cheap can one go on a turbo? Does groupset/number of gears etc matter at all? And how would I know if it would fit my current turbo?

Thank you for all help so far!

Nebulous

Guru
I’ve taken all superfluous bits off my hybrid (mudguards, pannier, bottle holders, pump) and added a turbo specific tyre to make it look like a lean fat burning machine.

So I have my good road bike and the hybrid on the turbo. The problem is my daughter. She’ll want to go out cycling on her bike and it’ll be canals/gravel paths etc. It’s why I bought the hybrid, except the hybrid would now need a bit of time to get back to going out condition.

The solution? A 3rd bike! Rather than spend £100 on a different wheel, I could spend £300 (approx) on a cheap hybrid for the turbo and keep my current hybrid in road worthy condition for family outings. Or I could even buy a cheap road bike for the turbo (preferable). How cheap can one go on a turbo? Does groupset/number of gears etc matter at all? And how would I know if it would fit my current turbo?

Thank you for all help so far!

Here's my story of searching for a turbo bike. If you can't be bothered reading it all I got a used Carrera for £100.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cheap-bike.243574/

Nebulous

Guru
Looks good - a bit more expensive than my one, but includes a spare cassette and spare pedals. He may come a bit if you chanced your arm with a lower bid.

Top Bottom