Fitting New Tyres Has Cost Me A Fortune

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Decided to fit my Nokian Gazzaloddi's for the winter Friday last
When putting on the tyres,I noticed that my rear thru axle bolt was not going through completely,so off to the shop I go.
We discovered that I had stripped the end threads of the rear mech hanger,so that's why it wasn't going through,so fine.
They said they would index the gears and take it for a wee run after putting on the rear mech hanger,so could I bring in my front wheel(I didn't think I would need it).
I came back and they told me that the hanger was frame specific,and their supplier did not stock it.
I managed to track one down from Slam69,and they sent me it post haste,but because I could not get time off I had to wait till the following Friday,2 days ago to take it to them.There was one guy in,who couldn't leave the front shop ,so yesterday it was.
The guys had fitted it and indexed the gears,and I thought that was that.
Nope,apparently I needed a new chain,there was play in the front wheel due to bearings needing replaced and my BB was making a clicking and creaking noise.:banghead::surrender:
I could have swore my bike was in tip top condition with no creaks or play before I took it in !!!
So the new chain is on and the rear mech on,but has to go back to get the wheel and BB looked at.
Another thing,the cheeky buggers wanted to charge me 25 big ones for a rear mech and 20 big ones to fit it.
I got the right one for 10 quid with free postage !!!.When I told them yesterday that it only cost me less than half(retail price btw) what they wanted,they did look kinda embarrassed.And mumbled something incomprehensible.They also charged me 25 big ones for a standard Shimano 10 speed chain.
And more money to shell out next week.:cry:.christ knows how much they will overcharge me for that(if I do go back to them)
So changing some tyres has rooked me of 25 quid plus 20 quid labour charges.
My moaning is over,and thanks for your time ^_^
Has anyone ever stumbled on other things whilst doing something to their bike ?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
You are supporting your Lbs, good for you. Unfortunately your Lbs will probably have fixed rates for doing jobs that you might have been able to do yourself. It is the nature of the beast that we are going to find other jobs on the bike when doing tyre changes or maintenance, only yesterday i was cleaning and lubricating the chain on my Pioneer only to discover a new chain is required and the pedals need replacing as one is seized. I have a new sram chain and I will buy new pedals from my lbs and fit them myself.
All part of the joys of cycling.^_^

Flyboy

Have you till got your old hanger , it will prob only be the first 2 or so threads that are crossed, you can file these away with a small round file , then put your axle in backwards just to take the bear off , and hey presto it's back to working . You now have a spare.

OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
Yeah,I probably could have done things myself Steve.
But why was the rear mech price so inflated ?.Especially when a shop in Gloucester can sell them for 10 quid.
That's a big difference.

It's all very well supporting your LBS,and I do try to,but when they are pushing prices like that up is it any wonder people go online ?
I'm not a skinflint,but I don't like being ripped off.Their reaction said enough.

OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
Have you till got your old hanger , it will prob only be the first 2 or so threads that are crossed, you can file these away with a small round file , then put your axle in backwards just to take the bear off , and hey presto it's back to working . You now have a spare.

Still have it,will bear that in mind :thumbsup:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Yeah,I probably could have done things myself Steve.
But why was the rear mech price so inflated ?.Especially when a shop in Gloucester can sell them for 10 quid.
That's a big difference.

It's all very well supporting your LBS,and I do try to,but when they are pushing prices like that up is it any wonder people go online ?
I'm not a skinflint,but I don't like being ripped off.Their reaction said enough.

The problem with running any business is covering the running costs, profits have to be made and it is the average joe like ourselves who have to cover those costs, unfortunately that is just the way it is and that is why more and more of us head online to source our parts but the knock on effect of this is many small business are closing as they are unable to compete with online prices. Catch 22 situation really

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Hey @steve50 .Is your bike the Raleigh Pioneer?
I always remember them being typically Raleigh bombproof,as a lad I cycled with had one.Loved his,nice one.

Yeah, it is, twenty five year old and still in nearly mint condition, I have modified it a little but it is still a lovely bike to ride.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-steel-its-real.16850/post-4553696

screenman

Legendary Member
I must admit I never get any suprises with my bikes, I know them too well for that too happen.

As for shop costs, well they are off the planet, a grotty shop in a quiet part of Lincoln can be £300 a week rent quite easily.

OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
The problem with running any business is covering the running costs, profits have to be made and it is the average joe like ourselves who have to cover those costs, unfortunately that is just the way it is and that is why more and more of us head online to source our parts but the knock on effect of this is many small business are closing as they are unable to compete with online prices. Catch 22 situation really
Agreed,I was just wondering why a shop in England can sell them retail price for £10,while a shop in Scotland sell them for £15 more.But yeah,I would like to help the little guy as often as I can,but it is getting harder.
I must admit I never get any suprises with my bikes, I know them too well for that too happen.

As for shop costs, well they are off the planet, a grotty shop in a quiet part of Lincoln can be £300 a week rent quite easily.
Funny you should say that,the shop is slap bang in the middle of a not so nice housing estate.But the shop itself is well presented.You if I remember are a businessman,so you will have a better idea of shop rents and upkeep.
Hey,I will tell you what though ?
For such a small shop it's crammed with some mean looking bikes :okay:
Pretty sure I saw a Wilier hanging up looking delicious.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@MarquisMatsugae it's worth learning how to do those jobs yourself, especially as we are not exactly overrun by bike mechanics in our area.
I am not an overly enthusiastic bike fettler, would rather just ride them, but I can do all the stuff you mentioned: had to learn or the alternative was to buy another bike to tie me up till I found the time to get the broken one fixed :laugh:

OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
@MarquisMatsugae it's worth learning how to do those jobs yourself, especially as we are not exactly overrun by bike mechanics in our area.
I am not an overly enthusiastic bike fettler, would rather just ride them, but I can do all the stuff you mentioned: had to learn or the alternative was to buy another bike to tie me up till I found the time to get the broken one fixed :laugh:

In terms of replacing bearings and the BB,I really should.
And I could have saved money doing the rest as it's really simple stuff

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
In terms of replacing bearings and the BB,I really should.
And I could have saved money doing the rest as it's really simple stuff
Aye, monitoring and replacing chains is really simple.
I have graduated to replacing cassettes and cranks this year.
Gonna try jokey wheels next, already done a gear hanger.
Sometimes the hardest bit is to know what to buy, but one can always ask on here, guaranteed to get an answer within minutes complete of a relevant link :okay:

Top Bottom