Fixed gear / drivetrain wear distribution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
Octalink was certainly available in different sizes, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree by looking for a solution to all this by pursuing an outdated technical standard which is long past its sell-by date (by about 10 years at least).
It isn't outdated on track. 7710 is still one of the most popular configurations. It is also an easy upgrade path for power meters on the track as well. I have a 7710 with a stages power meter. Used it for the past year in all sorts of conditions audaxing. Still on my first bottom bracket and it's still silky smooth, no bad for outdated tech. ^_^

Stompier

It isn't outdated on track. 7710 is still one of the most popular configurations. It is also an easy upgrade path for power meters on the track as well. I have a 7710 with a stages power meter. Used it for the past year in all sorts of conditions audaxing. Still on my first bottom bracket and it's still silky smooth, no bad for outdated tech. ^_^

Track options are current, but are limited to one axle length and two shell widths in Dura Ace, and that's it. There's nothing actually wrong with the functionality.

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
If the chain has to run that much closer to the bikes center then my chainring size and thus gear ratio gets capped to that of a kid bike, so that best option I interprete as humor?

Stompier

If the chain has to run that much closer to the bikes center then my chainring size and thus gear ratio gets capped to that of a kid bike, so that best option I interprete as humor?

Your bike must be particularly unusual or unique - what is it?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
57mm is an extremely wide chainline. The biggest I've seen for a rear hub was 50mm (On-One hub intended for use on MTB frames with a HT2 crankset). Road cranks (Shimano spec) give about a 46mm chainline for the outer ring position, which is why some "conversion" hubs go for 45-46mm chainline; it means you can keep your existing road cranks.

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
57mm is an extremely wide chainline. The biggest I've seen for a rear hub was 50mm (On-One hub intended for use on MTB frames with a HT2 crankset). Road cranks (Shimano spec) give about a 46mm chainline for the outer ring position, which is why some "conversion" hubs go for 45-46mm chainline; it means you can keep your existing road cranks.
Frame clearance is not enough for a >48 teeth chainring.
Chainline same reason - shorter chainline limits chainring to < 48t - I don't want to hunt pedals, I want to hunt road.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Any problem with that, SIR ???
Not at all, I always think of this “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would have just stuck a pair of 26" x 2" Marathons, a pannier rack, and a pair of mudguards on a decent quality large frame size 18 speed 1990's rigid MTB and saved myself the £4k and the endless amounts of hassle personally.....

Top Bottom