Flashing lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I can understand maybe using a flashing rear light but the front? There are a few cyclists that use these and I can't think why anyone thinks these are safe? I was blinded the other day by someone coming towards me, the light was in the direct eye line of car drivers, its even worse for me because flashing bright lights is a migraine trigger for me. I don't see the point, especially if its dark as you cannot see the road properly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's nothing wrong with flashing lights if they are used properly. ie not aimed at eye line, either car drivers or other road users. Was it a flashing light or strobing light, which is the devils own invention.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because it marks you out as a cyclist to motons :smile: I use my lights on flash as they are be seen lights as my night routes are always well lit and flash mode uses less juice so the light lasts longer

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Agreed (with the OP). I only use one of me rear lights on flash if it's raining. But i think the plonker you describe would be better off by dipping their fecking lights rather than turning off the flash... although both would be ideal.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Because it marks you out as a cyclist to motons :smile: I use my lights on flash as they are be seen lights as my night routes are always well lit and flash mode uses less juice so the light lasts longer
This is the bit that I don't understand, why does a flashing light mark you out as a cyclists as opposed to a constant beam. Is it to indicate a slower object? I am not sure if the light was flashing or strobing? is strobing faster. I've seen some pointing down and they are not great for drivers either!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
EDIT: as has been said by @vickster above (she types faster than do I .. :okay:)

There is a suggestion that a fixed white light gets lost in the mix of other fixed white lights on the road, while a flashing white indicates 'cyclist' to drivers. A fixed white, however, is apparently easier to judge approach speed by, so many regular cyclists use 2 lights - 1 on flash, t'other on fixed.

All lights should be aimed so as not to blind any other road users - otherwise ... how will they see you ???

I have a pulsing front light, rather than a flashing one. I also have a new 'Brainy bike light' on the back. This is very clever. All they've done, is make the light a triangle shape, which subliminally seems to make drivers more aware of a hazard, because road signs that warn of hazards are typically in red triangles, and the light bit, is a figure on a bike. I was sceptical, as to the possible effectiveness of it. Having ridden with it for about 200 miles, and with only a standard rear light, for a couple of hundred miles, I would say that in my humble opinion, not only do ( most ) drivers give me more room when passing, it's also reduced the number of left hooks significantly, and ( most ) drivers seem better able to judge my speed as well, so the number of 'dawdle passes' has reduced significantly as well. My flabber has never been quite so ghasted.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They also do square ones, and a front light version.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Because only cyclists can use flashing lights
and emergency type vehicles. Which i why i tend to feel the flashing light on a bike is a bit too woo woo woo look at me woo woo.

vickster

Legendary Member
and emergency type vehicles. Which i why i tend to feel the flashing light on a bike is a bit too woo woo woo look at me woo woo.
Yes but those are generally blue and the vehicles rather bigger

In the urban environment where I ride in the dark, I prefer to look as much like a cyclist as possible

No problem if you prefer otherwise

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I have a pulsing front light, rather than a flashing one. I also have a new 'Brainy bike light' on the back. This is very clever. All they've done, is make the light a triangle shape, which subliminally seems to make drivers more aware of a hazard, because road signs that warn of hazards are typically in red triangles, and the light bit, is a figure on a bike. I was sceptical, as to the possible effectiveness of it. Having ridden with it for about 200 miles, and with only a standard rear light, for a couple of hundred miles, I would say that in my humble opinion, not only do ( most ) drivers give me more room when passing, it's also reduced the number of left hooks significantly, and ( most ) drivers seem better able to judge my speed as well, so the number of 'dawdle passes' has reduced significantly as well. My flabber has never been quite so ghasted.
I've seen these advertised, seem like a great idea. But why do you need a flashing one on the front. The back makes sense as there is traffic coming from behind, but the front, there is no oncoming traffic in your way (hopefully!). I reckon more drivers are compromised than the number of cyclists that benefit.

Mrs M

Guru
I usually have one front light on solid and another on flashing, put rear light(s) on flashing.
Would never use the strobe setting as it gave me a sore head after just testing it out in the house :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Yes but those are generally blue and the vehicles rather bigger

In the urban environment where I ride in the dark, I prefer to look as much like a cyclist as possible

No problem if you prefer otherwise
I can see the point of the rear flashing light, but not the front.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
not trying to be pedantic but the very fact you are here complaining about the flashing light proves that the light has done the job of getting the cyclist noticed although i do agree that the light should be pointed more to the road surface so not to dazzle other road users.
Edit; even with flashing lights cyclists are still "cut up" at junctions etc but if you have a flashing front light you have more chance of getting noticed , we all know and are aware of the fact that many motorists do not "see" cyclists especially at night.

KneesUp

Guru
I agree with @vickster. I ride on one main road on my commute, which is quite well lit. If I have my front light on constant, cars often pull out of side roads in front of me (there is a bus lane in operation when I ride it, so I'm generally moving faster than the motorised traffic) If I have it on flash, they still pull out on me, but it's noticeably less often. I think at dusk and when there are lots of other lights about flashing lights are easier to spot. I guess when I have it on solid, it is easier for the motorist to miss as it may blend in to all the headlights in the queue on the main carriageway, so they don't see me in the bus lane?

EDIT - when I get onto the smaller roads, I switch my front light to constant. I have two rear lights - one is a slow flash (not the fairground flash option) and the brighter one is on constant.

Top Bottom