Flat faced dogs - is it right to ban them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depending on the type of event black are better camo'd than yellow, but that the only advantage.

When the bird has been shot, fallen a hundred foot and impacted the ground - then whether or not it can see the gundog is a moot point!!!

(OK OK OK - I know you said "depending on the type of event - but it was funnier like this!)
(note - my use of the word "funnier" may be subject to alternative definitions)

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
A look back at the original Border Terrier shows they are also following fashion for shortened snouts.

https://www.theborderterrierclub.co.uk/origins.html

Mine had the longish snout. There's both about and doing well in shows I believe. Mine turned out a bit too big and heavy for show standards but cracking dog despite that. I know another BT that's almost twice as big as mine. Definitely BT just a very big boy! Pedigree too!

However the short snout BT still has a straight snout. Not in the brachycephalic category by a long way yet.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
A friend breeds labs from a very good stock. I mean one of the better lines from one of better known lab gundog breeders. Fox red ones too! First dog bought was female, bred with one of the highest rated labs produced one male first litter. Second litter more and they went for a lot. Most ended up as working gundog. As to the first male dog that stayed with them. It became a very powerful lab and from day one showed perfect gundog instincts and behaviour. It was apparently like he knew what he was and what to do.

Technically fox red is called a yellow aiui. They're just better looking yellow. Lol! And if that dog had been owned by shooters not just lent out to a friend who runs shoots it would have been the match of most working black labs I'd bet.

One last point, she got her first from a gundog breeder of note, bred with another gundog breeder of note's dog. Both bred fox reds. Doesn't sound like yellows are that bad to me. Could be a Yorkshireman's wrong about that? As a lancastrian I pretty sure it's possible! :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Bruce's dad is one of the top lab stud dogs in the UK. When we got Bruce his doggy daddy had already sired more than 200 pups, such is the demand for his services, dirty boy.

As far as them knowing what do to by instinct goes - I went out to canada when I was a teenager. Went 2 years running to a farm belonging to my friend's brother-in-law. Only a small farm and totally arable.#However the second year he had been persuaded by the son of a local to 'house' several hundred sheep on one of his fields - the other bloke was totally responsible for fencing them and everything.
Anyway one night we were woken up in the ealry hours by the family as all the sheep had got out and were happily munching their way through th eneighbours crops - which was registered wheat - which meant it was going for seed crop or something - but basically expensive!

We all formed a line and tried to get all the sheep back into their proper field but were getting nowhere.

At that point the family pet - a totally daft and clueless Golden Retreiver - got out of the house where she had been locked up to stop her getting in the way
She legged it over and saw what we were doing and just took over - trotted back and forward and pushed the sheep in the right direction just enough to keep them moving but not enough to panic them
all we had to do was form a funnel into the field they were supposed to be in - the dog did the rest with lots and lots of sheep at once

took a while but she kept most of them together and got them into the field - then went off and rounded up the rest and herded them back

The dog had been around the sheep for a few weeks but never been allowed near them and had never had anything even vaguelly related to training.
And she was not even the right breed for herding

but she saw what we were doing, realised were were making a mess of it, and just took over

instincts were clearly there from some deep canine ancestor!

a few days later she lost her brownie point by cornering a skunk - with predictable results!

Top Bottom