Flexi-Pave - Your Views

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It would seem, some of our 'local' cycling campaigners would happily 'flexi-pave' just about the whole countryside if they got chance. I can see it's benefits, say in a park, but not outside in the countryside.

Locally (Peaks - Marple/Strines) we've had a number of bridleways converted to the stuff. What was OK to walk on, and a challenge on an MTB, has now been made into a really smooth surface - not so sure myself it actually has much benefit, as the roads/bridleways before and after are badly maintained, so it's not going to open the route upto wheel chair users, or less 'off road' bikes given it's location.

We've another local trail that's relatively smooth, but it's base is stone and aggregate (old rail line) - it drains fairly well but does have sections that are muddy in winter. Quite a few 'cycling campaigners' moan about it being muddy. It's OK and serves its purpose and holds up well most of the year. Me suggesting longer mudflaps didn't go down well.

Then there is another 'old rail line' and that is a mess unless it's been dry and 20c for a few weeks - now it needed work, but I'm not so sure flexi-pave is the answer - there is a load of it going down at great expense. I'm not so sure putting rubber, aggregate and an epoxy down is particularly good for the environment.

My verdict is out on the stuff, I'm not overly for or against, but it's hellishly expensive, where a cheaper aggregate may be used, that's in-keeping with the surroundings. I know Derbyshire council have been stopped twice recently from 'resurfacing' bridleways in non-appropriate materials.

The potential down side, is that this opens up the route to Strava KOM hunting even more. :wacko:

Views ?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I guess for the right place at the right time then it can be great. The problem is defining the right place and right time, as different users will want different surfaces e.g. roadie, mtb'er, horse rider, wheelchair user. A good mix with joined up thinking and routes would make most sense, but then again when has sense ever come into it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm not so sure putting rubber, aggregate and an epoxy down is particularly good for the environment.
recycled car tyres mixed with stone - is that not environmentally friendly recycling?

On a 5 minute google I'm guessing whilst more expensive than just putting stone chippings down, its a longer lasting solution and definitely better for accessibility, with your caveat of access to the accessible bit needs to be accessible:okay:

But if mixed use, its going to encourage a speed differential between walkers and bikes as that looks the sort of surface you could crack on at 20mph+ on the flat with ease.

I know there was a huge kick off about the national park tarmacing the Keswick to Threkeld path. Lots of people dead set against it but it's lovely.
Great to walk on, kids can scoot or ride their bikes - wheelchairs and pushchairs are a doddle on it.

Has anyone asked for the motorways cutting through the countryside to be left gravelly ? Any roads left gravelly ?

Anything that opens the countryside up to all folk seems to be a good idea to me.

Twilkes

Guru
Lots of tarmac country bike paths I've been on have been cracked and chewed up by the inclements above and tree roots below, most of the Loch Lomond path from Balloch to Tarbet is diabolical - does this stuff hold up any better long term if it's flexible?

Top Bottom